Hi from Oxford.. just started looking for a Cayman

Jango-feet

I managed to find some time today to go and look at a local 06 Cayman S with 60k miles..

This was the first time I've driven a Cayman. It was great, the sports seat were awesome, the drive was pretty good but there was one massive problem I don't think I could live with.. the low frequency buffeting.. it was awful, my ears drums were fluttering when driving at 40-50mph.. my head was hurting after a few miles..

The dealer selling the car car took me out in a gen 2 car and it was still there but not quite so bad.. still too much for me to live with on a daily basis..

is this normal for a Cayman? Do they all make this noise ? 

Hi,

h

Having only owned ours for just over 4wks I would not say I was an expert but we cant believe how quiet ours is even with a 3.4 just behind our backs. None of the cars we took out where noise in any way.

Dean

If the buffeting was with the window down, 981's also suffer from this. Dropping the passenger window just a fraction cures it. There are some wind deflectors (not Porsche items) available which are supposed to prevent this.

Hi, I've owned a Cayman 2nd Gen 2.9 and currently a 2.7 981, never suffered from any buffering, only mild drone from 20 inch tyres on long motorway journey, but who notices when you have the stereo on anyway. 

The windows were fully closed.. I have been reading about this a bit and it looks like it might be related the the rear hatch vibrating. The road surface I was driving on was not good (like most roads in the U.K.) so this and a poorly adjusted vibrating hatch could be a contributing factor..

I will try to get to see some other cars first before ruling the Cayman out completely :sAng_banghead:

• Like 1

When I first bought my 987.2 2.9 it was on 17" rims with Michelin tyres and buffeting was not very noticeable. I then switched to 19" rims with (old) Pirelli tyres and the buffeting was awful. I subsequently changed the tyres on the 19" rims to a new set of Michelin Pilot PS2 tyres and now I rarely notice the buffeting. Generally the Cayman cabin is a great place to be, especially with that flat six engine sound, it is only tyre noise/roar which detracts from the enjoyment.

• Like 1

Hi Jango-feet,

If you're still looking, I may be looking to sell my white Gen 2 2.9. 

It's in mint condition and just serviced.

You can see my thread here;

Also, I'm in West Oxfordshire (RAF Brize Norton) during the week or Swindon at the weekend where you could view the car. 

Let me me know if you'd be interested.

Regards,

Greg.

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I started this thread and I've test driven quite a few variants of Cayman and have finally put a deposit on a car.....

Unfortunately it's not a Cayman... every single one of them I took for a test drive gave me a headache and made my ears flutter after a few minutes... I just couldn't live with it...

i tried all all variants of the 987 with various wheel types and suspension but I guess it just wasn't to be..

So what did I buy?..  A 2001, black, auto, 996 Turbo... I pick it up next weekend...

I am disappointed about the Cayman but I'm sure this will more than make up for it..

• 1 month later...

I steered away from a 3.4 when I was looking due to increased cost of road fund licence (or whatever they call it now), the 2.7 with sports option was also in a  higher tax band.

I'm wary of the running costs on all Porsche, buying them is the easy part. I replaced air-con condensors 'cross-over' pipes and hoses for the cooling system on a 6 year Boxster and it cost £1200, brake disks also rust on the rear surface even on low mileage cars so that's another £600 an axle.

Great fun cars however, loving my 981 at the moment.