Brake pads and fluid upgrade for a CR

el_rapido

Hi all,

Interested to hear what brake pad and fluid upgrades you have done for fast road / occasional trackday use.  I'm running a stock Cayman R, looking to upgrade the pads and fluid but still want them to be as road-friendly as possible (minimal dust/noise).  Probably won't go to the full extent of changing the rotors just yet.   Some quick searching on here as pointed towards a couple of options, EBC, Pagids, etc, maybe something from Brembo.  As for fluid, what are people using......Castrol SRF (or whatever its called now), or Motul?   Any information appreciated.   

Cheers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Castrol  SRF is more a race fluid and absorbs water faster, race teams don't care they chance it every race.

Not really a fan of DS2500 they don't offer much over the oem pad on the R, as the R has better pads fitted anyway.

RS29 are great but may be a bit too much and can squeal, CL pads might be a in between pad to try and 1/2 the price of rs29's

I was debating RS14  but I do like the RS29 pad bar the price.

Endless are the best pads but £800 a pair !

Thanks guys, I'm still looking at options.   Interesting to hear that about the CLs.  Another potential upgrade I'm considering is the GT3 master cylinder, to firm-up the pedal feel.

I've used Mintex M1166 and have found them superb for track and road. I also use SRF and having been in for over a year now with still no problems, however some of the race teams say it can induce the "Ice brake pedal" which I've only ever had when bedding in new pads. I use AP600 in the race car which is equally as good.

I did use Mintex F-series pads in my race car which were great but they wear the discs badly if constantly used from cold.

HTH

Andy

1 hour ago, Red Square Images said:

How aggressive are the M1166? I have used Performance Friction PF08s and RS29s on other cars. RS29 seemed very aggressive and dusty where as PF08 were fantastic but ate paint for breakfast. 

I don't find them aggressive at all, you can run them on a daily and wouldn't know they were performance pads, yet they hold up very well on track days/Competition

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this thread, I am yet to do a track day in my car but so far I have fitted braided lines and will change to EBC yellow stuff pads all round, GT3 front brake ducts and 997 Turbo rear ducts for extra cooling on the rotors however still not sure if Castrol SRF is a must or can a decent DOT 4 fluid work ok ? Thoughts please.

For your first track outing ... why not keep it all standard and see how go ?

On the road ... my CR brakes improve the harder that they are used hence I am hopeful that they will be half decent on track. 

Yes agree for the road they are more than up to the job but in my experience of track driving in other cars, brakes are the 1st weakness to be exposed, it's another level punishment compared to the road with heat being the main issue, so just curious how people have found the standard brakes and mainly fluid on track. I'd like to have good strong brakes that can handle repeated high speed stops with as little fade if possible.

• 3 weeks later...

After my first track outing with the car and it`s standard brakes ... Anglesey last Saturday.

Overall the brakes stood up quite well although I do admit to being rather cautious with them, especially in the morning sessions. Pushed them harder during the afternoon and ran five / six lap sessions. They worked well and gave me more confidence, even got the ABS to kick in !

Will use them `as is` at Knockhill next month and then decide if an upgrade is required. 

Good to hear that the stock stuff appears up to it for the most part, I still think the GT3 duct updgrade is worth doing as it's relatively easy and cheap mod and more cooling can't hurt.

I've had yellow stuff all round for two track days. Have to say I've not been impressed, not terrible but not able to get ABS to kick in which you should, on the road they need a good shove as well. I fitted them a week after getting the car so thought it was just a Cayman quirk, the old standard pads were brand new so kept those as spare. The YS pads are close to the limit now so thought I'd it put the standard pads back before the mot. What a difference, much firmer and I can get the ABS to kick in, I'm off to Blyton Park on Sunday so will be interesting to see how they fare. May just be a one off, perhaps the pads weren't heatcycled enough when i fitted them (no idea what I'm talking about, just read that somewhere). I had yellow stuff on my old MR2 and they were great. Most people rate YS so I'm prepared to admit that my experience was an anomaly. Brake fluid was new on the first outing and only a few months old on the second. Same fluid now (one year old) and brakes are fine so can't blame that,

when the road pads wear down I'm thinking of trying brembo HP2000 pads. Marketed as OEM replacements but with better fade resistance. Anyone try them? 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I've gone with Endless pads up front and Castrol fluid as a starting base.  Haven't had opportunity to properly test them yet as latest 'ring trip was a washout.  

Just a note to say with any "performance or track" pads you really need to follow the bedding in process. It's usually a number of hard stops in succession - not always easy to do but they need the heat cycles to give their best .....

Kai 

11 hours ago, Kai said:

Just a note to say with any "performance or track" pads you really need to follow the bedding in process. It's usually a number of hard stops in succession - not always easy to do but they need the heat cycles to give their best .....

Kai 

Did try with the yellow stuff but didn't work for me, but yep could be that. When my stock pads die i may try the Brembo HP2000 pads. Not mad expensive and supposed to better than stock (which are not terrible if you keep the stints short). Bedford in July so will see how that goes.

Hi Porker, hope you don't mind me asking but did you do the whole 200 miles of gentle braking 1st before doing the heat cycling on the YS pads ? I've just fitted mine and so far only done 40 miles on them so another 150 miles of gentle braking at least before I do the multiple 60-10 mph stops to heat cycle them, I have to say other people saying the same as you which doesn't sound overly encouraging !