Brake pads and fluid upgrade for a CR

el_rapido

4 hours ago, crafty1 said:

Hi Porker, hope you don't mind me asking but did you do the whole 200 miles of gentle braking 1st before doing the heat cycling on the YS pads ? I've just fitted mine and so far only done 40 miles on them so another 150 miles of gentle braking at least before I do the multiple 60-10 mph stops to heat cycle them, I have to say other people saying the same as you which doesn't sound overly encouraging ! 

Well drove around a bit first, perahaps not 200mies but over a hundread certainly. I took it very easy during the sighting laps and first few sessions. They were never unusable but far from brilliant, like I say the standard pads were far better. If your setup can't get the antilock to kick in then there is room for more braking. Others use them and report they are fine, I still had a blast though. Luckily changing pads is so easy on these things. Another Trackday at Bedford  in July, its a heavy braking circuit so will see if they need replacing after. They didn't fade so not dangerous, they were consistent  but just didn't seem to bite all that well

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2017 at 11:39, crafty1 said:

Good to hear that the stock stuff appears up to it for the most part, I still think the GT3 duct updgrade is worth doing as it's relatively easy and cheap mod and more cooling can't hurt.

So how were the brakes?

Yep not great. 1st session they grumbled a lot, like yours they worked but not as good as they should imo. I didnt end up swapping them out and 'drove' around the problem as well as I could. My opinion is rhe EBC pads get too hot and hold heat, my discs were blue and now a little scored, I'll be removing them next weekend and putting my old pads in for a while, it looks like the EBC's are crumbling. Rest of the car was great, particularly the Ohlins. How did you get on ?

1 minute ago, crafty1 said:

Yep not great. 1st session they grumbled a lot, like yours they worked but not as good as they should imo. I didnt end up swapping them out and 'drove' around the problem as well as I could. My opinion is rhe EBC pads get too hot and hold heat, my discs were blue and now a little scored, I'll be removing them next weekend and putting my old pads in for a while, it looks like the EBC's are crumbling. Rest of the car was great, particularly the Ohlins. How did you get on ?

Bedford tommorow, early start to get from south of the river up there before the traffic builds up. Bedford has some long straights so need to take it easy on the standard pads. Plenty of room if it all goes pete tong!

Enjoy, not been to Bedford for a few years but it's great fun, here is mine through the Bomb Hole at Snett, car never missed a beat really, surprised a few people too...

rps20170723_201037.jpg.7d8e2e28c9139380804fbc12f916d5b6.jpg

I won't be bothering with EBC pads again, took them out this weekend and they are crumbling away. Trying to post a picture but it's not allowing me any file space.

Edited by crafty1

• 1 month later...

Last track day I used half worn discs with part worn RS29 pads. Bite was good, stopping was good (squealing I could have done without). After that track day the pads were about half worn and the discs completely knackered. With the car in for service and advice to change the brakes I got the pads and discs changed for standard items and replaced the brake fluid with fresh racing (high BP) fluid. Saturday was my first track day on this set up. I was expecting poorer braking and more fade.

In reality, the brakes lacked the immediate bite but fundamentally felt like they had all the stopping power required and didn't fade. So, I'm questioning whether there really is much wrong with the standard set up. On Saturday my friend joined me who races historic FF and Ferraris (I'm saying this to add background to his observations, not to sound like a knob). I let him take the car round the track for a couple of sessions. Again, his observations on the brakes was that they did the job and whilst a bit of additional immediate bite adds some confidence when pushing to racing speeds / commitment, for track day use assuming you are not trying to beat every car out there, the standard brakes were fine. This being the first time he'd driven a CR, his overall reaction was that it was criminally good and to say it was unmodified (save the MPSS tyres) it was testament to the excellent set up Porsche have given the CR. A car you truly can use as an everyday car and then take it on track and really enjoy. Despite his strong leaning towards Italian cars he was genuinely impressed and starting to ask questions about ownership costs!

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix before it becomes gospel that in order to track a CR you MUST upgrade the brakes.

Cheers

Mick    

• Like 1

Interesting thanks Masher, I was just about to go and order a full set of RS29's but now you have me thinking... There are Brembosport pads which might be a good compromise between cost and performance, they are approx £110 for each axle so less half the price of the Pagids, and surely they can't be as bad as the EBC's. 

• 2 months later...

After about a dozen track days with a variety of cars, none of whose brakes stood up to a hard day at the Anglesey track, finally settled on Carbotech XP8 pads.  As near to perfect as we could find.  No fade, modulation totally consistent, good when cold, fully reliable when hot.  Just as consistent on the road.  Lasted at least twice as long as Ferodo and way better.  I believe Endless are similar, but about twice the price of Carbotech.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 31/07/2017 at 18:24, crafty1 said:

I won't be bothering with EBC pads again, took them out this weekend and they are crumbling away. Trying to post a picture but it's not allowing me any file space.

Even EBC pads are rated as "shite" on the Fireblade forum.

I always run Ferodo DS2500 compound fast road/track pads... Not as aggressive as the DS3000 but a decent cross over pad imo.

I also binned the standard cross drilled discs & went with Kinetix dimpled & grooved type.

I only use DOT 5.1 fluid in all my vehicles...

The standard brakes on my 981 have proved to be perfectly adequate for track use at Anglesey - the first car of an MX5, BMW E82 and Westfield that has not required modified braking.  If, having tried out the standard set-up, you find it inadequate, firstly I would be surprised, but if so, Carbotech pads.  

The most obvious shortcoming on my 981 for track days is the n1 PZeros.  More than 4 laps at a time they turn to jelly.

J2Anglesey1218.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I found the Cayman R pads pretty decent, but I do tend to be quite mechanically sympathetic at the track, so no more than five or six laps on the trot and always a cool down lap. 

I've recently replaced my pads and discs - went with genuine Porsche discs and Pagid RS29 pads. Took the car to the track a couple of days later, and the RS29s certainly do impress; great stopping power with no hint of fade, no matter how late and hard I was braking. Yes, you do get some squeal at low speed, gentle braking on the road, but I can live with that. 

As mentioned above, I found that standard tyres were far more of an issue. My car shipped with Bridgestones from the factory, but I swapped to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s and the difference on track is simply incredible, and they're great on road, too. You obviously need to be a bit more careful in the wet, but they're by no means dangerous in the wet unless you're being silly.