Crafty1's manual Gen 2 987 S

crafty1

Thanks guys.

The ride on the Ohlins and PS4S is surprisingly good considering the spring rates and stiff side walls, perhaps not quite as good as on the 17's but now I've got these back on I doubt I will go back to them as I just love the look of these, the turn in on PS4S feels better and car is more planted but less playful, so always a trade off, but tbh I am happy with a one wheel size/tyre to suit road and a little track work plus my garage is cluttered enough as it is. 

According to several posts on Planet 9 the Ohlins are a bit tricky to install and set up correctly, the recommended ride heights are just too low and suggested spring rates too stiff for most so you need someone who really knows what they are doing to fit them, mine is going back to Centre Gravity to have an annoying suspension creak investigated and look into the slight crashiness from the front that occurs over bigger bumps/potholes. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2018 at 16:01, crafty1 said:

...... So I decided to keep my 19 inch wheels have them refurbed and shod with new PS4S tyres all round..... Only driven about 15 miles in the damp on the PS4S but they are impressive, the car rides better than the old PS2's and grip in the wet is excellent, also very quiet.

What size and load ratings are the PS4S tyres you had fitted?

Are you still happy with the comfort and noise levels of the PS4S in comparison to the PS2?

Front are 235 / 35 zr 19, 265 / 35 zr 19, extra load on both axles as that is all I could find at the time and mine are not N rated.

Best all round tyre I have experienced, from memory yes a fair bit quieter than the n rated PS2s I had on before, ride is good but I tend to run them a tad lower than recommended i.e  30 front and 32 rear on the road as sweet spot for comfort vs. performance and being extra load have slightly stiffer side wall I think.

Edited by crafty1

Bit of maintenance update. I recently noticed my rear brakes were squeaking a bit and assumed it was pads slightly sticking so took them out cleaned them up lubricated the outside shoulder of the pad and hoped for the best but was still there...

So next stop was to check if squealing was effected by handbrake operation which it was so set about taking the rear discs off to find this...

20180623_133730.jpg

The brake shoes had de-laminated, perhaps due to higher temps now car goes on track occasionally and I guess due to age. New Pagid shoes now fitted £25 and invested in a proper shoe removal tool kit otherwise spring removal and refit can be a real pita.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@crafty1 your car looks fantastic

I am having silver stripes on mine soon. 

What did you pay for the R lights? Last time I checked was crazy expensive...was thinking to just cheap out and vynil around the headlights...

The wheels look fantastic, great colour. The guy at Excel did it? Cost?

Thanks Guys 

The headlight are decals from https://kistudios.com/product/porsche-cayman-987-headlight-trim/

Not cheap at about £85 delivered to UK but a lot less than new R headlamps, bit tricky to fit as well but use plenty of soapy water and be patient  

Wheels I think were about £600 refurbed in Weiss Gold  with  new painted centre caps .

Car now sporting a black sun visor too20180721_104502.jpg 

Edited by crafty1

13 hours ago, crafty1 said:

Thanks Guys 

The headlight are decals from https://kistudios.com/product/porsche-cayman-987-headlight-trim/

Not cheap at about £85 delivered to UK but a lot less than new R headlamps, bit tricky to fit as well but use plenty of soapy water and be patient  

Wheels I think were about £600 refurbed in Weiss Gold  with  new painted centre caps .

Car now sporting a black sun visor too20180721_104502.jpg 

Cheers

Did you get the windshield vinyl from them too?