Fuel gauge not reading full

I meant when it depleted to half, I would brim the tank again.

Unfortunately, the dealer still says it's the sender.  I may end up having to entertain this.

Funny turn of events!  The dealer has somehow, magically, unknowingly, fixed the gauge!  I thought it was sitting higher than when I gave it back so, indulging my suspicion, I filled the car up once more.  The fuel gauge went right on up to 4/4.

Phew.  They're going to have a wonderful conversation with me on Monday.  

• Like 1

Tom, I'm not sure the dealer intentionally fixed it.  My thinking is that they have resolved the issue unintentionally (thus telling me that I needed to buy (another) new sender unit).

I'm not sure what to suggest to you at this point but my gauge seems pretty spot on.  I suspect they configured the fuel tank incorrectly but I highly doubt they'll own up to any of it.

Edited by Aaron

The light came on exactly when it was supposed to.  Looks like everything is back to normal. :)

Tom, I have my old sender kicking around if you'd like me to post this to you?  Just pay for the postage/packing.  Happy to help you out.  I can tell you for certainty that you can remove the sender apparatus and manually solder a new sender in (as this thread proves).  I figure you've tried everything in the book except for a new sender and I know they were both working fine. 

Aaron,

Please correct me if I am wrong but the issue you had did not come from the sender itself since there were able to fix the problem by reprogramming the cluster unit, right?

Since I have exactly the same issue than you I doubt changing the sender will fix my problem. What do you think?

Tom, yes this is true regarding the position of the needle, but the light triggering higher up the gauge is a weird one to me.  

I'm not sure how that is configured and there's little resource available to research it.

It's just an offer; I'm not sure what else to suggest to you, I'm afraid.

Aaron,

Would you mind to PM me the contact detail of your dealer? I would like to ask my local dealer to call them. Maybe they will be more open to discuss with another dealer and provide more information. Thanks in advance

Aaron,

My Porsche dealer has called the French Porsche headquarter and they ask for your VIN before to proceed (don't need your last name).

Can you please send it to me?

Thanks!!!

Bad news... Porsche France has called PC Cardiff and they told that they followed the standard procedure to program the instrument cluster. So nothing new to fix my issue (except visiting Cardiff :D)

• Sad 1

That sucks, Tom.

My offer of the sender still stands.  Your call.

I think this can be put to bed now; my fuel gauge is working perfectly once more! 

• 2 years later...

Figured I would update this - 2 years later and this is still working just fine.

Do not pay an OPC a fortune for a new sender - just solder in a new potentiometer! :D

• Thanks 1