Toms 987.2 Cayman - 2018 Show car build

UKtom

8 hours ago, Corvus said:

Hi Tom,

Lovely car - That's pretty much the exact combo I'm wanting to put on mine (Black Gen 2 S). I've finally sourced some of those wheels from Germany second hand and am about to push the "Buy it now" button. I'm just wondering whether your car has PASM or not because it's actually sitting quite nicely on them. I'd been considering getting the Cayman R suspension installed to get the 20mm drop and keep it Porsche, but if that's how those wheels look on non-PASM cars I might hold off (for now ;)).

Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Will

Thank you Will! Where are you based? Coincidentally I will be getting rid of mine soon as I am switching them up for something else. I am in Portsmouth if you wanted to try them on before you buy!

I don’t have PASM, or any other suspension mods, so it should sit even better on R suspension :)

Tom

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UKtom said:

Thank you Will! Where are you based? Coincidentally I will be getting rid of mine soon as I am switching them up for something else. I am in Portsmouth if you wanted to try them on before you buy!

I don’t have PASM, or any other suspension mods, so it should sit even better on R suspension :)

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm based in London, was actually down your way the other week looking at a replacement Cayman which was more to my spec. Decided against chopping mine in, better the devil you know and all that. I'd be interested in the wheels if it were soon enough, when are you looking to change?

Out of interest, what are you thinking of changing to?

Cheers,

Will

Edited by Corvus

5 hours ago, Corvus said:

Hi Tom,

I'm based in London, was actually down your way the other week looking at a replacement Cayman which was more to my spec. Decided against chopping mine in, better the devil you know and all that. I'd be interested in the wheels if it were soon enough, when are you looking to change?

Out of interest, what are you thinking of changing to?

Cheers,

Will

Haha, that's great! I'd be happy to take them off straight away for the right price.

I was originally looking for some specific aftermarket wheels - they are pretty pricey but the sale of these would definitely help with the purchase!

It might be easier to ring/text, I'll DM you my number and we can go from there... :)

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, lovely motor! 

Am thinking about going black with my wheels too and was wondering are yours body color (i.e. with the sparkly flake in) or just a gloss black?

Get some lowering springs on, it'll look 10* better......

Cheers, 

Dan 

39 minutes ago, dandruffe said:

Hi there, lovely motor! 

Am thinking about going black with my wheels too and was wondering are yours body color (i.e. with the sparkly flake in) or just a gloss black?

Get some lowering springs on, it'll look 10* better......

Cheers, 

Dan 

Hey Dan, 

Thankyou! They are just a simple gloss black. Go for it, they look amazing when clean!

Progress wise, not much has happened with the Cayman recently. I'm trying to save some money together to get the parts I want - hoping to be able to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks. Updates to follow...

Tom

I just fitted a set to mine.  Not quite as low as I would have liked but the ride is no different which is good news.

Still sits well, looking forward to seeing it with spacers on too

3 hours ago, PMGPete said:

I just fitted a set to mine.  Not quite as low as I would have liked but the ride is no different which is good news.

me too,would really have liked mine sitting lower.

it removes all the body roll aswell that i remember with the standard springs

18 hours ago, PMGPete said:

14 hours ago, banjo said:

me too,would really have liked mine sitting lower.

it removes all the body roll aswell that i remember with the standard springs

Thanks guys! Good to hear good reviews of ride comfort - ride height wise I am not too fussed, as long as it closes the excessive arch gap from standard I'll be happy!

Possibly attempting to fit the GT3 smile grill this weekend, I think I've plucked up enough courage to cut a hole in my bumper... :D. Updates to follow

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Beanoir said:

There’s 2!! Who’s grey?

haha! The grey Cayman S belongs to a friend of mine called Tom too! He isn't on the forum, but his car is one of the main reasons I wanted a Cayman in the first place, I love it 9_9 I'll get him to come with me to the next Caymans and Coffee meet!

• Like 1

Small update, the car got treated to a full four wheel toe and camber alignment yesterday after the new springs went on last week. As expected, it was all over the place. All aligned properly, the car is a million times better to drive - a lot more responsive and a huge amount more fun!

The springs have also settled a fair bit, I’m really happy with the height as it is. Lower than standard, but not too low that it’s impractical.

D1_A4234_B_249_D_4670_8312_6_EFC1_EB2_BF

Time to get some more bits ordered!

Tom

• Like 1

Hey Tom,

Love the progress so far and hope you keep this thread up to date!

I'm not usually a big fan of sunstrips but the one in your pic looks great, can I ask where you got it? Also any tips for not breaking the windscreen? ;P

.FxN

16 hours ago, fxn said:

Hey Tom,

Love the progress so far and hope you keep this thread up to date!

I'm not usually a big fan of sunstrips but the one in your pic looks great, can I ask where you got it? Also any tips for not breaking the windscreen? ;P

.FxN

Hey there,

Thank you! I had it done at UTWS, near Bournemouth as a friend of mine runs it. I keep meaning to get another one fitted but my first experience has put me off a little!!

The guy who replaced my windscreen told me that the interior mirror should only come off as one piece. I took mine off as two. Basically, it should just untwist from the windscreen mount but I stupidly pulled mine off the ball joint mount, then twisted the ball joint mount off the windscreen (so don't do that!).

Hope that helps :)

Tom

• 1 month later...

There are fewer things in life less terrifying than taking a hacksaw to your perfectly fine front bumper, however the risk paid off.

911 GT3RS Grill is now in! No template used, very happy with the result.

4_AEC7780_1451_4687_8041_78159_FC6_E41_F

3_F0152_BC_A3_FE_4_A7_A_8076_5_C5_F11_F1

Oh and I refitted a tinted sunstrip. This time we didn’t crack the windscreen. :D

Tom

Edited by UKtom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, barryb said:

Hi Tom

Looks nice, did you take off the front bumper cover to install? Which grille did you buy?

thanks

Barry

Hey Barry,

I left the bumper on whilst cutting the hole - be careful though as I didn’t realise (until after I’d cut!) the rad pipes are very close under there.

AA741_E94_9_D24_4_B03_9227_3_C28_D15323_

I bought the grill direct from Porsche for £26 - bargain! Part no. 997 575 327 9001C

Tom

23 hours ago, UKtom said:

Hey Barry,

I left the bumper on whilst cutting the hole - be careful though as I didn’t realise (until after I’d cut!) the rad pipes are very close under there.

AA741_E94_9_D24_4_B03_9227_3_C28_D15323_

I bought the grill direct from Porsche for £26 - bargain! Part no. 997 575 327 9001C

Tom

Nice i did read somewhere getting the part direct from Porsche was actually cheaper than pretty much every other place on the web. 

• Haha 1