Toms 987.2 Cayman - 2018 Show car build

UKtom

29 minutes ago, PMGPete said:

Love the wheel! A TTRS would be a massive downgrade aside from power/tuneability.

A friend had a Revo Stage 3 TTRS and it was incredibly fast yet incredibly dull 

Thanks Pete! I am actually yet to test drive one, but on paper they seem pretty appealing. I fully regret not getting a Cayman S - the cayman is a great drive but IMO underpowered. I also feel it is too basic, coming from cars with Cruise Control, Auto wipers, Auto lights, xenons etc... but that's my own fault for buying the cayman I have :4fvgdaq_th:

The replacement is between a 981 cayman and a TTRS really, but i know this forum will be super biased towards one of them hahaha.

Tom

All I would say is make sure you get a thorough test drive.

I was an out and out BMW guy before buying my Cayman (even my 911 didn't away me away from M3's) so I have never been the biggest Audi fan to be fair.

They sound fabulous with the 5pot all the same and almost supercar fast with some tuning

• Founder
13 hours ago, UKtom said:

Thanks Pete! I am actually yet to test drive one, but on paper they seem pretty appealing. I fully regret not getting a Cayman S - the cayman is a great drive but IMO underpowered. I also feel it is too basic, coming from cars with Cruise Control, Auto wipers, Auto lights, xenons etc... but that's my own fault for buying the cayman I have :4fvgdaq_th:

The replacement is between a 981 cayman and a TTRS really, but i know this forum will be super biased towards one of them hahaha.

Tom

Plenty of road tests out there making the comparison between the 2 cars (EVO etc), or at least the 718 and the TTRS.  The Audi will be a slightly better daily driver, but a blunt tool compared to the Porsche I think is generally the view.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UKtom said:

I fully regret not getting a Cayman S - the cayman is a great drive but IMO underpowered. I also feel it is too basic, coming from cars with Cruise Control, Auto wipers, Auto lights, xenons etc... but that's my own fault for buying the cayman I have :4fvgdaq_th:

Add a couple of turbos :-)

Two options: Use the holes where the current spoiler comes up for positioning air scoops to pull air to the turbo(s) or use the windows behind the driver/passenger to pull in air.  Porsche have used both these methods in the past on the 911.

• Like 1

They look fantastic! 

As for the TTRS conundrum, compared to your 987 2.7 then it would certainly feel a lot quicker and better appointed, but have you considered a newer 981 S or even a GTS? They would be much fairer comparisons than an older Cayman.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Car has been dropped off at Ergen Motorsport this morning for a standard exhaust refit. I'm really going to miss the noise of the straight through. I 100% know i'll regret it, but needs must... to keep my neighbours happy and to be able to get the car on track because of db limits!

FA0864_C4_D78_F_46_C2_8_F4_F_67_B4_C69_E

Tom

Turns out all of the exhaust bolts have seized, so will need new bolts, clamps and gaskets throughout. Providing all goes to plan, car will be ready to collect Monday.

Meanwhile, I've been advised my rear discs will need replacing soon - can anyone recommend a good set to go for, not necessarily larger but a recommended brand? I was thinking just Brembo but open to opinions.

Thanks

Tom

Just put a set of brembo all round on my 987 from euro car parts sister company 'carparts4less' cracking value good bite and stopping power. Also the new spec brembo come with dark grey power coated centres and vents. 

Full set of pads and discs (front and rear) for yours looks like £322.42 delivered from them 

Screenshot_20180202-163222-720x1280.png

Edited by Munch197
  • Like 1

Thanks Munch! I am still yet to purchase but looking at Brembo discs and Pagid pads.

Exhaust update - turns out the OEM exhaust I bought (987.1 CS) is not a straight fit to the 987.2 cayman... doh!

Luckily, I found a 987.2 Boxster exhaust for sale locally at Regal Autosport, so set off and collected exhaust number 4 tonight...

All collected, I am hoping it’s the end of my issues and will bolt straight up tomorrow without issue. Expensive lesson learnt.

I did however come across Ryan Stewart’s Cayman S parked up inside at Regal. What an absolute animal, priveliged to say the least to see it in the flesh.

1343_D86_E_28_BF_490_C_8080_7_EB061_A4_F

I also got some satin black R style decals delivered today from Grafshed. I’ll report back on fitment quality once I have my car back and get time to fit!

BA6_AF669_7795_4_B93_AE4_B_2158_BA16_ACF

Tom

Edited by UKtom

Finally got the cayman back! It sounds like an electric car now, but sososo much nicer to drive. Both from a sound perspective (ear drums aren’t bleeding) and performance perspective - the car feels so much smoother in power delivery, likely because of the added back pressure.

Today I attempted to fit my side decals, I only managed to do one side before the heavens opened but pretty happy with the result. A subtle difference, happy that I went black on black. 

6_F06730_F_2_C3_D_41_B1_8116_0_E67_E527_

Will try and get some better pictures when the other side is complete!

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PMGPete said:

Nice subtle touch that, I like it!

I take it the notion of changing it is gone now

Thanks Pete! It has for now. I’m like a yo-yo and change my mind weekly.

We’ll see. Currently I’m at the stage where ive realised I need to enjoy the cayman for atleast the summer and maybe get it out on track at least once before I even consider swapping it. :D

Tom

9 hours ago, UKtom said:

Thanks Pete! It has for now. I’m like a yo-yo and change my mind weekly.

We’ll see. Currently I’m at the stage where ive realised I need to enjoy the cayman for atleast the summer and maybe get it out on track at least once before I even consider swapping it. :D

Tom

My misses has a TT, not an RS though. It’s 09 same as my cayman. Nice as it is, when I get in it feels like you’re high up. It’s  more refined and “comfortable”. But feels more a normal car to me. Cayman feels like a little racing car. I love the heavier clutch, engine behind you, the smell from the vents after use. Plus you can’t beat that view of the front wings :Porsche:

Going back to that piece you bought off Porsche being cheap. Know what you mean, the front semi skirts under the bumper are only £40 ready in primer. I know because I ruinated one of mine :8_laughing:.  Those skirts are at least over a hundred after market so was expecting Porsche to be silly money. Many parts are gazillions, occasionally cheap as chips.

• Like 1

Thanks buggyjam! I agree! Audi’s are comfortable drives, but that’s about it. In comparison to a Porsche, I feel they just don’t have the same appeal or wow factor.

The sun came out today so I treated the car to a full wash, glaze and wax. I also fitted the rest of the side strips and got a few decent pictures including one of the cayman s tips now on the rear. Enjoy!

5_C7_B39_DF_6561_484_A_8_F12_42_A11_FE50
51104_A2_C_F195_4_B7_D_AD83_DE7189_B4_C1
7_DBDBA2_B_55_AC_401_B_BF74_85130_A3_C97

Tom

• Like 1