Peridot Cayman R

Webdunk

On 20/11/2015, 20:45:54, Beanoir said:

Did they actually not use that colour on any other car apart form the R?  

I believe it was intended as a CR exclusive colour although I have since seen what I think was a 2.9 in Peridot.

On 20/11/2015, 22:05:52, SpannerMan said:

I love that you have the cupholder specced back in...one thing I do miss is a cupholder..  

I can't claim the credit for that - the original owner gets the kudos ;-)

On 20/11/2015, 22:10:02, Uncle Dave said:

Do you run winter tyres on the old girl then as a daily driver, I assume you get the worst of the winter weather up there.  

I do indeed. Sottozeros went on yesterday morning. Just in the nick of time.

22574206374_d68cf12a7d_z.jpg

• Like 1

there was even snow in Kent !  I woke up to a blizzard at 8am on saturday. Snow only stayed settled until 11 though

I am in same boat as Webdunk being that my R is used as a daily. I really don't want to bugger my spyders up with all the salt they love throwing down at first hint of a frost so thinking of getting some winter wheels. Can anyone recommend the best to go for?.

Bloody council just turned down my application for a detached garage too so car is now going to be out in all weathers for a lot longer than intended  :(

19 minutes ago, MJ said:

there was even snow in Kent !  I woke up to a blizzard at 8am on saturday. Snow only stayed settled until 11 though

I am in same boat as Webdunk being that my R is used as a daily. I really don't want to bugger my spyders up with all the salt they love throwing down at first hint of a frost so thinking of getting some winter wheels. Can anyone recommend the best to go for?.

Bloody council just turned down my application for a detached garage too so car is now going to be out in all weathers for a lot longer than intended  :(

In terms of winter wheels, the choice is yours really (I opted for Team Dynamics 1.3s). For tyres, I currently have :

PIRELLI W240 Sottozero PORSCHE N1 tyres.

235/40/18 fronts @ 21kg, rears 265/40/18 @ 23.6kg

(vs 19" Spyder wheels fronts 235/35/19 @ 19.8kg, rears 265/35/19 @ 22.4kg)

I've also used Toyo Snoprox and Kelber Quadraxers in the past. Vredestein Wintrac are also well thought of.

• Founder

The Spyder wheels are pretty lightweight aren't they!  

I had the Michelin Alpin on my last car which were good, and had the Continental WinterContact on my old S3, preferred the Michelin when the weather was not so cold and seemed to last a bit longer on tread wear too.  

thanks for the info on the winter wheels and tyres. I must admit I hadn't considered after market wheels and was expecting to source a set of spare 18/19" rims from a boxster/cayman and putting winter tyres on them. Cant go any smaller than 18" as the front will ground out even more than it does on 19's so do wonder why guys on PH say put 17's on them? or is that for normal 'S' models? The front splitter is low on R's.

12 minutes ago, MJ said:

thanks for the info on the winter wheels and tyres. I must admit I hadn't considered after market wheels and was expecting to source a set of spare 18/19" rims from a boxster/cayman and putting winter tyres on them. Cant go any smaller than 18" as the front will ground out even more than it does on 19's so do wonder why guys on PH say put 17's on them? or is that for normal 'S' models? The front splitter is low on R's.

Typically winter wheels/tyres will be smaller than summers. 17s can be cheaper and some folk prefer the ride quality. 17s will also have a higer aspect ratio and may be thinner than summers which in the event of snow can help with traction. If however, snow is not your greatest winter concern than that's less relevant.

Grounding should be a non-issue given your rolling radius will be within mm of your summers?

Aftermarket can be a good option, particularly if buying wheels and tyres together - I've used Larkspeed several times now and their prices delivered to your door are very competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

D'oh, those wheels were near perfect! teach me to not log on here for a while, been too manic with work :(

Not that it looks like much chance of really bad cold weather anytime soon!

1 hour ago, MJ said:

D'oh, those wheels were near perfect! teach me to not log on here for a while, been too manic with work :(

Not that it looks like much chance of really bad cold weather anytime soon!

Speak for yourself - there's a couple of inches of snow on my driveway at the mo :sSp_snowman2:

• Like 1

More here: https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-tyres/porsche-boxster-set-of-winter-wheels-and-tyres/1144190203

MJ, not sure what model you have, but if 17's were original spec the front of the car will be the same height whatever the size of rim as the tyre will have a higher sidewall the smaller the rim size. You just need to check the tyre size, especially aspect ratio (e.g. 40) IS correct for your model.

Edited by DJMC

• 3 months later...