DAB radio in a CR

ian964

The unit arrived this morning and it really couldn't be any simpler.

I haven't had a chance to put the aerial on the windscreen yet but even with it sitting on the dash in it's packaging it seems to pick up a good range of DAB stations.   The unit itself just plugs into the 12v socket in the glove box, as soon as you turn on the radio it picks it up and just works....the little remote supplied with it seems to work with no problems....takes less than a minute to get it in and working!  

I've got to drive into London in a bit so I'll give it a longer test...but for solution with no installation needed it seems like a winner!  I'll do a proper installation of the aerial at the weekend when I have a bit more time and I'll put up a few pictures.

Hi Mathmos, any update on how the Autodab is working? I've got a 987, so no sockets in the glovebox, however there is a 12v in the passenger footwell which should do the job.

Morning...sorry I've been away with work and have only just seen your post!

I used at the weekend and still without the aerial fixed it worked fine for a trip round the M25, no breakups at all.  However when I went into a built up town it went very choppy...it's pretty much down to the signal that the aerial is getting...you can see the signal strength on the RDS display.

When I got back I looking into fixing it properly and it turns out that when you fix it to the windscreen it also needs earthing against the metal of the A pillar.  I've been looking and I can't find any decent instructions on how the trim is removed and I am not desperately keen to give it a go even though it appears it's just a case of pulling it out from the top!  So I've got the car booked in at Halfords, for £30 they will fit it properly

I'll report back as soon as it's in!

• Like 1

I have DAB in the daily and it's fine like you say out in the open, but pretty shaky reception in built up towns and cities.  I often switch back to FM when that happens.  

Afternoon all....ok so a bit of an update.

Something came up at work so I had to cancel the Halfords install...but I had a free day today and thought I would take another look myself.  Really the only reason to remove any trim would be to earth the DAB aerial....but since I was getting a decent signal without doing that I thought why bother!

So I've installed it myself, without the earth....the cable tucks in fine behind the trim with no effort at all.  I may look to see if there is a smaller aerial option, but this will work fine for now.

This the the aerial in place, as you can see there is no sign of the cable - 

IMG_08631_zpsl1a72kbq.jpg

It tucks behind the trim all the way down -

IMG_0864_zpsx7axwhzq.jpg

You can hide it almost all of the way round to the glovebox -

IMG_0865_zpssxcghtkh.jpg

Then it just plugs into the 12v socket -

IMG_0866_zpsyj4ritce.jpg

IMG_0867_zpsomqhppb2.jpg

No problems with a signal!!

IMG_0868_zpsydw9muhp.jpg

• Like 1

When you say you've installed without the earth, do you mean where the sticky electrode should attach to the metal of the bodywork?  It will be infinitely better with that connected if so.  

On 09/02/2016 at 09:55, Trickle said:

When you say you've installed without the earth, do you mean where the sticky electrode should attach to the metal of the bodywork?  It will be infinitely better with that connected if so.  

Yep I do, at the moment it's just tucked behind the trim.

I agree it will be better, but as I am getting 100% signal (as you can see in the pictures) then I just don't think it's worth removing the trim to attach.

• Like 1

On 11 February 2016 at 08:50, Mathmos said:

Yep I do, at the moment it's just tucked behind the trim.

I agree it will be better, but as I am getting 100% signal (as you can see in the pictures) then I just don't think it's worth removing the trim to attach.

I have to say you're lucky with that signal, normally the earth is bit people get wrong (poor prep of metal surface) and it weakens or gets no signal. How you've managed to get a full signal without the aerial switched on is anyone's guess, but hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it!