Newbie member looking for a base cayman

hopz121

Hi all,

i’d like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Ash and I am on the lookout for a cheap manual cayman base to use for daily duties.

I have never owned a Porsche and it’s a dream one day to buy a GT4 but until then I need to scratch the itch.

I am considering a higher mileage example to daily drive and enjoy all year round…… am I mad?

I have a few other cars including my cherished e46 m3 which I have owned for over 6 years.

I have been looking at this car (link below), does anyone know anything about it? Do any forum members have a base cayman they’d like to sell?

I know a fair bit about Boxsters of a similar era and newer but is there anything I need to look out for with these base cayman specifically? Is bore scoring and IMS low failure rate in the base?

Thanks 

Ash

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13334999

Hello Ash and welcome to probably the most boring Car forum you could have ever joined. I attribute that to to all Cayman owners must be out driving having fun rather than posting anything interesting on here 🤣.

There's loads of base 987 Caymans on the market right now at fantastic prices. I wouldn't pay anymore than £11k for a high milage car.  Personally I'd play it safe and go for the 2.7 engine as a daily. These engines like to be revved. The extra low down torque of the 3.4 will tempt you to change gear earlier. (Not something that's good for this engine IMO) 

Check for coolant leaks round the front end pipes and hoses if they haven't been changed in the past 5 years they'll probably need it. 

Have fun! They're amazing to drive! 

Paul

3 hours ago, trialsstar3 said:

Hello Ash and welcome to probably the most boring Car forum you could have ever joined. I attribute that to to all Cayman owners must be out driving having fun rather than posting anything interesting on here 🤣.

There's loads of base 987 Caymans on the market right now at fantastic prices. I wouldn't pay anymore than £11k for a high milage car.  Personally I'd play it safe and go for the 2.7 engine as a daily. These engines like to be revved. The extra low down torque of the 3.4 will tempt you to change gear earlier. (Not something that's good for this engine IMO) 

Check for coolant leaks round the front end pipes and hoses if they haven't been changed in the past 5 years they'll probably need it. 

Have fun! They're amazing to drive! 

Paul

Thanks Paul,

That car has actually sold now so back to the search again.