PDLS and Halogens

I have the PDLS fitted to my 981 and I notice that the blurb says there are auxiliary halogen as part of the system. Does anyone know why and when they operate? Why would you want halogens when you have Xenons?

3 hours ago, gmtsteve said:

I have the PDLS fitted to my 981 and I notice that the blurb says there are auxiliary halogen as part of the system. Does anyone know why and when they operate? Why would you want halogens when you have Xenons?

It's 'cos the xenon take a moment to heat up to full power so the halogens are just there for flashing I believe?

3 hours ago, gmtsteve said:

...also as a bit of trivia, that's why LED lights are better for brake lights, they light up instantly rather than having to heat up a bit of wire. Different physics innit. 

No, that's what Bi-Xenon means. There is a shutter partly obscuring the beam from the xenons on dipped beam. When you flash, the shutter immediately opens to activate high beam.

Not sure what the halogen lamp does though.

On 3 August 2016 at 12:34, gmtsteve said:

No, that's what Bi-Xenon means. There is a shutter partly obscuring the beam from the xenons on dipped beam. When you flash, the shutter immediately opens to activate high beam.

Not sure what the halogen lamp does though.

Because when your lights are off completely, so the xenons are cold,  and you want to flash someone you need the halogen as it heats up quicker? Dunno

I have bi-xenons and my understanding, as suggested, is that if the headlights are off, the halogen bulb is used when you flash, as they heat up quicker...i'll check this out at the weekend. 

Sounds plausible, but other manufactures don't have an auxiliary halogen as part of their HID light systems. My GT86 had bi-xenons but no auxiliary halogens.

Guys, you are both correct. I tested it out last night reflecting off a window. When the lights are off, the halogens do the high beam flashing. When the bi-xenons are on, they do the flashing with the shutter mechanism.