Cayman R springs, standard Gen2 s Dampers

racer

Hi Guys

I'm currently running Eibach springs on my Gen2 s.

The roads where I live (Langdon Hills Essex) are so bad that I cant live with the ride hieght anymore.

I don't want to go back to standard, so CR springs seem like the obvious choice.

Has anyone done the swop? I'd like to know your impression's, and the best dealer to buy from.

In the longer run once happy with the ride height I will probably upgrade the dampers to some B8's aswell.

1509015c4a214947a1e67e26ed311e61.jpg

30242291654c4db0852fa8edeb6a5bb5.jpg

433a7c3a58914ecdb35e11315c594443.jpg

• Like 1

Cayman R springs aren't really any softer if any softer at all. It's not the spring rate in these situations that causes problems. The difference in spring rate between a standard 987, a PASM 987, the R and Eibach and H&R lowering springs all very small in the broad scheme.

Damping rates, suspension travel, springs going coil bound etc are more important. You can get very bad issues with ride on a 987 with lowering springs due to the ride height rather than spring rate. The Eibach spring rate is fine. The ride height, not so much.

I had terrible problems on an old 987 with Eibach springs. The spring rate was fine, but it lowered the front axle too much and the front axle ride was atrocious. The H&R were a bit better, but not great. In the end I fixed it by inserting an extra spring pad up front to lift the ride that little bit to allow the suspension to work properly, and presto, it was fixed and drove really well. So, you could try a set of spring pads. You can fit then with no need to dismantle the suspension.

Cut the pads (including cutting a small section out of them) and you can fit them using compressors on the springs in situ to pull the tops of the springs away from the top mount and then insert the pads underneath the existing pads (this is why you cut the pads, so you can just insert them and then use the existing pads as a retaining seat). The pads come in two sizes from Porsche, try a set of the thicker ones - I think they are 6mm. Will cost you almost nothing and might give you a solution you're happy with.

R springs with probably lift the car 10-15mm from where it is now.

Edited by MartinF6

13 minutes ago, MartinF6 said:

Cayman R springs aren't really any softer if any softer at all. It's not the spring rate in these situations that causes problems. The difference in spring rate between a standard 987, a PASM 987, the R and Eibach and H&R lowering springs all very small in the broad scheme.

Damping rates, suspension travel, springs going coil bound etc are more important. You can get very bad issues with ride on a 987 with lowering springs due to the ride height rather than spring rate. The Eibach spring rate is fine. The ride height, not so much.

I had terrible problems on an old 987 with Eibach springs. The spring rate was fine, but it lowered the front axle too much and the front axle ride was atrocious. The H&R were a bit better, but not great. In the end I fixed it by inserting an extra spring pad up front to lift the ride that little bit to allow the suspension to work properly, and presto, it was fixed and drove really well. So, you could try a set of spring pads. You can fit then with no need to dismantle the suspension.

Cut the pads (including cutting a small section out of them) and you can fit them using compressors on the springs in situ to pull the tops of the springs away from the top mount and then insert the pads underneath the existing pads (this is why you cut the pads, so you can just insert them and then use the existing pads as a retaining seat). The pads come in two sizes from Porsche, try a set of the thicker ones - I think they are 6mm. Will cost you almost nothing and might give you a solution you're happy with.

R springs with probably lift the car 10-15mm from where it is now.

That's really helpful thankyou Martin

I have seen the pads on Design 911 for £15 3mil or 6.5mil.

As you said it does seem to to mainly the front that's the issue.

Would you say the CR springs with extra height/Travel would then improve the ride a touch more?

Matt..

10 hours ago, racer said:

Hi Guys

I'm currently running Eibach springs on my Gen2 s.

The roads where I live (Langdon Hills Essex) are so bad that I cant live with the ride hieght anymore.

I don't want to go back to standard, so CR springs seem like the obvious choice.

Has anyone done the swop? I'd like to know your impression's, and the best dealer to buy from.

In the longer run once happy with the ride height I will probably upgrade the dampers to some B8's aswell.

1509015c4a214947a1e67e26ed311e61.jpg

30242291654c4db0852fa8edeb6a5bb5.jpg

433a7c3a58914ecdb35e11315c594443.jpg

Your car looks beautiful at that height! 👌

I had the same issue when I had 30mm lowering springs on mine. Ride was really harsh. I've since gone BC coilovers, dialed in my height and set dampers to the softest! The difference is night and day. Its really usable as a daily now again and can't fault the coilovers. Feels like a Porsche should. 

4 minutes ago, trialsstar3 said:

Your car looks beautiful at that height! 👌

I had the same issue when I had 30mm lowering springs on mine. Ride was really harsh. I've since gone BC coilovers, dialed in my height and set dampers to the softest! The difference is night and day. Its really usable as a daily now again and can't fault the coilovers. Feels like a Porsche should. 

That's interesting thankyou. I now have another option to consider

Do they come with a solid top mount? Did that not make the car more harsh and noisy?

Well not harsh, but noisy yes. Pillow ball type spherical bearings like the ones found in these type of top mounts aren't designed to take large thrust loads 90° to the bearing itself. The bearings clearances soon get too large and the lash is noticeable as noise. 👎 Steer clear of these types. 

6 minutes ago, trialsstar3 said:

Well not harsh, but noisy yes. Pillow ball type spherical bearings like the ones found in these type of top mounts aren't designed to take large thrust loads 90° to the bearing itself. The bearings clearances soon get too large and the lash is noticeable as noise. 👎 Steer clear of these types. 

Ok Buddy Thanks 👍

3 hours ago, racer said:

That's really helpful thankyou Martin

I have seen the pads on Design 911 for £15 3mil or 6.5mil.

As you said it does seem to to mainly the front that's the issue.

Would you say the CR springs with extra height/Travel would then improve the ride a touch more?

Matt..

If you get the pads working correctly, ride will be pretty similar to R springs.

R springs are the easiest option on paper as they don't lower the car too much and it will just work. But obviously at this stage, trying the pads is going to be cheaper. R springs definitely the way to go if you want to just use springs to lower a standard car, that's for sure.

8 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

If you get the pads working correctly, ride will be pretty similar to R springs.

R springs are the easiest option on paper as they don't lower the car too much and it will just work. But obviously at this stage, trying the pads is going to be cheaper. R springs definitely the way to go if you want to just use springs to lower a standard car, that's for sure.

That's great Thankyou Martin

I've now orderred the 6.5 mil pads, that's agood place to start cheers.