Does Quaife fit 987.2 S?

D.J.

I'm looking to fit a Quaife LSD to my 987.2 BS. Quaife does not want to confirm it fits the car (???). Does anyone know if it does? FVD only says 987.1, Quaife website says 07+. 

Also, is Wavetrac much better for twice the price?

Thanks!

All LSDs are not equal and all LSDs do not work equally, that sounds pretentious, sorry, but what do want your proposed LSD to do and when.

Reading the explanations given by the above manufacturers -

Quaifes claim they will distribute torque/power/whatever between the wheels on an axle when both tyres are gripping but the grip is in varying proportions, however, if one tyre lifts

i.e no grip, then the axle unlocks, thus the wheel in air will drive and spin and the one on ground won’t. So limited grip rather than limited slip?

Wavetrac specifically set their stall as the ‘opposite’ of that, claiming their diff will allow drive on the landed wheel when the other spins.

I suspect that their U.S.P, the wave in wavetrac, is effectively a symmetrical locking and unlocking pinion ramp angle but with ‘rounded’ edges. 

Quaife degenerates locking plate LSDs as

- having the ability to wear internally and,

- for actually locking the diff/ splitting the drive equally (50/50) across the axle.

Wavetrac limits their degeneration to the first of those reasons.

I’ve not been fortunate enough to experience driving a car with either of the above two types so can’t comment on how they feel on the road.

As (say) alternatives types of LSDs to the above, there are locking plate differentials.

As examples: Honda have used both constant torque and reactive torque in some of their LSDs

Their constant torque LSD being like a motor cycle wet clutch pack of holding/ dragging discs that keep the axles together until excess torque causes them to slip - perhaps more a fixed grip differential rather than limited slip.

Their reactive torque LSD has a similar clutch pack with both axles holding/ dragging however they are set in a helical gear set, so as the axles starts to spin the floating helix forces the plates to fully lock together. Giving both a grip and then fully locked.

Salisbury / Powerloc axles are a two stage diff with a metal to metal clutch pack that lightly hold both axles together at all time, however when greater slip occurs the axle utilitises the pinions climbing against an internal ramp to fully lock the axle.

I have cars with both a Salisbury LSD and a Reactive Torque LSD but wouldn’t really want to say one is better than the other as the layout and handling of each car is different. 

On a 987, the PASM modifies both the brakes and the throttle. If the system sees a differential reaction between the corners it will act.

So whatever you may do, and whatever the physics of the LSD does, PASM maybe trying to do something else.

Not sure that any of that gives a simple answer.

Cheers.

From my research, LSD gives better traction out of the bend and makes it more fun for sliding around.

The only two real options are Quaife and Wavetrac. There aren't many people that installed LSDs on 987.2 so I'm looking for some feedback.