Want to buy - Cayman 987 gen 2

Paz

Crossover pipes are fairly minor routine maintenance work, I wouldn't let that put you off a particular example. High pressure fuel pump is probably the nastiest of the commonly occurring bills on a Gen 2 3.4, but that's a bit binary. Either it's working or it's not.

Very few of these cars will be absolutely perfect. I'd be mainly looking for evidence of timely oil changes and ideally more frequently than the ridiculous 20,000 mile official interval. And then the cosmetics and how it drives. Most of these cars are now a little bit tired to drive due to age and a few miles. They're just at that age where the majority are still on original suspension / not old enough that many have had major suspension refreshes.

Grey one is very low spec, but it depends what your preferences are. I wouldn't one without extended leather, but if you've not seen the difference, you wouldn't know what you're missing and maybe you can embrace the period GT3 RS plastic door cards and dash vibe! On 58k miles it probably drives OK, but equally probably isn't far off benefiting from a set of new arms, mounts and dampers.

Edited by MartinF6

26 minutes ago, MartinF6 said:

Crossover pipes are fairly minor routine maintenance work, I wouldn't let that put you off a particular example. High pressure fuel pump is probably the nastiest of the commonly occurring bills on a Gen 2 3.4, but that's a bit binary. Either it's working or it's not.

Very few of these cars will be absolutely perfect. I'd be mainly looking for evidence of timely oil changes and ideally more frequently than the ridiculous 20,000 mile official interval. And then the cosmetics and how it drives. Most of these cars are now a little bit tired to drive due to age and a few miles. They're just at that age where the majority are still on original suspension / not old enough that many have had major suspension refreshes.

Grey one is very low spec, but it depends what your preferences are. I wouldn't one without extended leather, but if you've not seen the difference, you wouldn't know what you're missing and maybe you can embrace the period GT3 RS plastic door cards and dash vibe! On 58k miles it probably drives OK, but equally probably isn't far off benefiting from a set of new arms, mounts and dampers.

Yes I’m not so keen on the interior without extended leather, but it might not be a deal breaker. Thank you for the useful info! 

• 1 month later...

I‘m still sort of looking for a Cayman, albeit not as intensely as before! If anyone has anything, please let me know. 

18 minutes ago, Paz said:

Sorry I’m only after a manual.

When I was looking originally, I also thought I wanted a manual, until someone asked me if I'd actually tried a PDK. It's not an old fashioned slush box torque converter. It's constructed like a manual, but without a clutch pedal. In manual mode, it simply won't change up until you tell it to, rather at some random inconvenient time, so you're fully in control.

Anyway, if your mind's already made up, then fair enough and happy hunting, but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions if you might be tempted.

Cheers,

Bryan

1 hour ago, briggy said:

When I was looking originally, I also thought I wanted a manual, until someone asked me if I'd actually tried a PDK. It's not an old fashioned slush box torque converter. It's constructed like a manual, but without a clutch pedal. In manual mode, it simply won't change up until you tell it to, rather at some random inconvenient time, so you're fully in control.

Anyway, if your mind's already made up, then fair enough and happy hunting, but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions if you might be tempted.

Cheers,

Bryan

Thanks but coming from an S2000 I just couldn’t do it! 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to look at one today, I won’t be buying it but hoping to drive it anyway. Doesn’t say it has full service history which is odd but we’ll see. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404128581246?sort=most-recent&aggregatedTrim=987&make=Porsche&model=Cayman&postcode=rh150eu&transmission=Manual&year-from=2009&advertising-location=at_cars&fromsra

2 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Mine is for sale: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404138623031

Sorry, mileage is too high for me.