Oil consumption

Doing the NC500 in a couple of weeks, 1600 mile around trip, over 7 days.

What should I expect to use? Not worried about topping up, just wondered what to expect to use, if anything?

If it's a Gen1 then it could be nothing or a litre, depends on many factors, engine mileage, what oil you have, how you drive it, condition of the engine... 

Use the trip as a gauge to measure it and take a top up bottle along with you.  

Mines currently doing 400-500 miles to a litre normal driving and on a recent 2 day weekend blast with a car club that was down to about a litre every full tank of fuel. 

Hence why why I am trading it in. 

Edited by markbarry1977

10 minutes ago, DJMC said:

My 981 has done 11k miles on zero ml.

just shows the different ends of the spectrum.

You'd expect that from the engine in a 981 to be fair, they are far better on oil and really a different engine to the 987 and so not really something the OP should compare to.  

I'd certainly be expecting a 987.1 to use oil it just depends how much 

As another point of reference my 987.1 (with 113k on it) seems to have used roughly one bar, depending on how the gauge feels at the time, in roughly 800 miles. That's 'normal' ahem driving.

As i can only read from the dash,  My 2.7 07 Plate with now 89k on clock has not used a drop in 5000 miles since owning car.   ( off dash meter ) 

if I've been only short run a cpl times a day i do get a cloud when starting the next morning but put this down to the flat 6 design and not getting up to temp.  Used through week with approx 25 mile day usage fine and ticks like a well oiled clock. 

13 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

And this, ladies and germs, is why I think 987.1 3.4s are so very risky.

I regularly get flamed for opining that the failure rate is high. So be it. But what makes buying one so very risky is people punting the fucked ones back into the system via trade ins. I suspect an awful lot of cars for sale have been traded in when the oil consumption started going up. For a buyer, it may be pretty much impossible to tell short of a bore inspection, which may itself be inconclusive even if there is a problem.

This particular car is a case in point as it seems probable this is the second time it's been traded in reaction to oil consumption. The next poor bastard who buys it will probably be the one hit with the bill / loss.

I suppose the upside is that they don't fail immediately / they go on for a bit as they deteriorate. But I think they're one hell of a roll of the dice unless you have robust protection in place.

The ethics of all this are also interesting / a bit rum. I'm always amazed at the attitude people have to this kind of thing. But that's probably a story for another day.

You are entitled to your opinion on my ethics of punting the car.

Guess what.... If it's a choice between a £8-10k rebuild or punting it then I'm getting rid. I suspect most would do the same. 

What I have done though is publicise the reg here. Hopefully people might read this and avoid it. There is far greater protection since the change in consumer law when I bought it than the next buyer will have. Hopefully he comes on here, I will willing provide a statement the fault was pre existing so the dealer should fix it. Ultimately you pays your money and takes your gamble. For me it didn't work out and I'm cutting my loses before I get a massive bill. 

I told the BMW dealership it was consuming oil and showed him the service paperwork for what other faults were picked up. 

His responce in no uncertain terms out of ear shot of the manage were. We're a BMW main dealer, we don't sell 10 year old Porsches, it's going to get punted to auction,  we will have nothing to do with it so don't really care.  

2 hours ago, JimP said:

Tempted...?

11 minutes ago, JimP said:

Should I be worried now...I'm looking for a Gen 2 model...? 

Think they are inherently better? Better oiling system etc. I'm sure you know this but do aske for the dealer to send a screenshot of the Rev ranges. The two dealers I spoke to were happy to do that, a few hundred in ranges 1&2 is apparently not usually a worry, they may have hit the limiter once or twice but these cars should be able to handle that. One dealer said that they don't touch a car if it's seen any in 3 and above.

17 minutes ago, JimP said:

Should I be worried now...I'm looking for a Gen 2 model...? 

No, they are amazing cars. But do your research...

As has previously been stated, the cars use oil- this is by design and helps keep reliability up. Other manufactures do this as well. But obviously the extent of oil consumption is the point. The dealer I bought my car from, Harbour Cars said anything from zero, to one litre per 1000km is ok. As has been said above- this part of the car is difficult to establish as part of a pre purchase inspection process...

11 minutes ago, Porker said:

Think they are inherently better? Better oiling system etc. I'm sure you know this but do aske for the dealer to send a screenshot of the Rev ranges. The two dealers I spoke to were happy to do that, a few hundred in ranges 1&2 is apparently not usually a worry, they may have hit the limiter once or twice but these cars should be able to handle that. One dealer said that they don't touch a car if it's seen any in 3 and above.

I have 9600 ignitions in rev range 1, and 14 ignitions in rev range 2- none in any other ranges. 2010 Cayman S 987.2 PDK.

Rev range 1 is into the red line, range 2 in mid red line. Also the time elapsed is a consideration; eg if there are high recorded ignitions a few hours ago any potential damage would be unknown and could indicate "a last blast" before it gets sold. If the last ignition was like 200hours ago then it could indicate that no damage has occurred.

I found this good reading

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

21 minutes ago, richjar said:

I have 9600 ignitions in rev range 1, and 14 ignitions in rev range 2- none in any other ranges. 2010 Cayman S 987.2 PDK.

Rev range 1 is into the red line, range 2 in mid red line. Also the time elapsed is a consideration; eg if there are high recorded ignitions a few hours ago any potential damage would be unknown and could indicate "a last blast" before it gets sold. If the last ignition was like 200hours ago then it could indicate that no damage has occurred.

I found this good reading

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Yep, the one I'm seeing has 659 in range 1 and 10 in range 2. None in the others. Works out at about 1.8 seconds at the limit so possibly only once or twice in its life and yes not very recently but a few tens of hours ago. Annoying but I doubt fatal, I will bring it up with the dealer as a negotiating point - assuming I'm interested.

1 minute ago, Porker said:

Yep, the one I'm seeing has 659 in range 1 and 10 in range 2. None in the others. Works out at about 1.8 seconds at the limit so possibly only once or twice in its life and yes not very recently but a few tens of hours ago. Annoying but I doubt fatal, I will bring it up with the dealer as a negotiating point - assuming I'm interested.

That would be no problem IMO... Doubt dealer would use this as a negation as there is now issues. These cars are designed to be driven hard after all...

15 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

RR1 and 2 are non issues. That's just bouncing off the limiter.

I wouldn't give it another thought or discuss it with the dealer. It's no reason whatsover to discount the car or reason to worry about the car or reject it.

I see no reason at all to be annoyed.

I will feign annoyance to extract another fifty quid from the shiny suited sharks toothy jaws.

• Like 1