Abingdon

Porker

Booked a track day at Abingdon for the 14th October. Only done four or five in my old mr2, can't wait to try in me new motor. For those who haven't been, Abingdon is an airfield circuit. Very flat but plenty of run off so a good one to make a mistake on.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, J-P said:

That was where I did my first track day!

think I might do Silverstone in October or November.

I've done a few track days, I don't really know what I'm doing so do tend to go for the tracks with plenty of room to run off. Not that I have to any great extent but one less thing to worry about. Was my first as well, heaps of space on one fast corner, if you stuff it up you simply go wide around the cones and sweep off onto the runway. Bedford is also great but so long it took ages to remember the corners, twice I pulled off a slip road for the pits and found myself in a random car park. I am QUIET stupid though.

First time in the CR so will be quiet an experience compared to my excellent but modestly powered MR2.

You'll have a lot of fun in the CR.  Best thing you can do though is have some instruction.  I've started doing track days with a good friend of mine and I give him some pointers but I also advised him to get some instruction.  He has come on in leaps and bounds since we started doing this and it has improved his enjoyment of the days too.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

You'll have a lot of fun in the CR.  Best thing you can do though is have some instruction.  I've started doing track days with a good friend of mine and I give him some pointers but I also advised him to get some instruction.  He has come on in leaps and bounds since we started doing this and it has improved his enjoyment of the days too.

Yep, always book a session. Almost always calms me down and actually end up going faster. First time at Abingdon I got Erling Jenson http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/button-natural-star/story-11324212-detail/story.html a close friend of Jensen buttons dad. Top chap and an excellent instructor. Best £20 I ever spent.

im not out to break any records...or dent anything. My old mr2 had no stability control, was a dream to handle though. Will be interesting to see hoy the Cayman handles if it kicks in. I'm told it can be a bit unsettling. 

My first track day at Abingdon I had Erling too!  He was an excellent instructor.

Just got some MPSC2s put on mine - should be awesome on my next track day!

Hope you have a fun day out!

• 3 weeks later...

Had the alignment checked and corrected, just the stock setup to make sure everything is pointed where it should. Roll on next week!

I'm here! Good morning, first couple of sessions just to get used to it - so much more power than my old car. Had a lesson, got the usual guidance - smoother on the throttle, carry more speed into the corner, don't drive like a dick.

theres a red 981 GTS here....anyone? 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 14/10/2016 at 13:09, Porker said:

I'm here! Good morning, first couple of sessions just to get used to it - so much more power than my old car. Had a lesson, got the usual guidance - smoother on the throttle, carry more speed into the corner, don't drive like a dick.

theres a red 981 GTS here....anyone? 

How did you get on, good day?  

1 hour ago, Tom said:

How did you get on, good day?  

Had a great day, a bit damp first think but dry by 11:00. I was well within the limits of the car, only had one moment when I went a bit out of shape so plenty of room to push on next time I go out. It's clear that the car is way more talented than I am, I was keeping up with a 911 Carrera but think he was taking it as easy as I was. One chap in a very hot Renault overtook me a couple of time, he was on three wheels though and does race so clearly knows what he was doing! I stayed well out of his way....sorry!

• 5 months later...

Bought my 2011 CS in February, and Abingdon looks a great place to dip my toe into the track day experience.

Anyone go there regularly? Any advice for an absolute newb'? :)

On 02/04/2017 at 09:11, Whaleblue said:

Bought my 2011 CS in February, and Abingdon looks a great place to dip my toe into the track day experience.

Anyone go there regularly? Any advice for an absolute newb'? :)

Abingdon is great for a newb. I'm a beginner, start slowly and build up during the day. Id say 20-25mins max per session (its a road car with road tyres and brakes so needs to cool down every now and again). Get a decent tyre pressure gauge and foot pump. After your first proper session immediately check the pressure. The tyres will be way hotter than normal so reduce the pressure to the normal pressure recommended when cold - should be OK for us novices, I wouldn't get too stressed about playing much more than that. Do a cool down lap and let the car idle for a few mins when back in the pit. Oh, GET A LESSON! About £25 a session i think? Well worth it. It's not a race and don't get too dispondnant if some lad in a souped up Clio sport flies past! Happened to me, it was stripped out and modified and he clearly knew what he was doing. Probably about £20k less expensive than mine, just demonstrates that the lesson is a good idea!

Thanks Porker, useful info. I think a lesson (or two) will definitely be in order!

I've decided to go to Revolution Porsche 'oop north for my servicing/maintenance, and I'm booked in for June. I'll hold off until after that (front brakes need doing soon, so,I'll get Revolution to do this at the same time) but perhaps get a day in at Abingodon this summer.

1 hour ago, Whaleblue said:

Thanks Porker, useful info. I think a lesson (or two) will definitely be in order!

I've decided to go to Revolution Porsche 'oop north for my servicing/maintenance, and I'm booked in for June. I'll hold off until after that (front brakes need doing soon, so,I'll get Revolution to do this at the same time) but perhaps get a day in at Abingodon this summer.

Is your track day with MSV? They have Irling Jenson as an instructor, had my first lesson with him. A few tips and i was instantly smoother, faster and more confident. Trivia...he was best mates with Jenson Buttons dad, hes named after him

22 hours ago, Porker said:

Is your track day with MSV? They have Irling Jenson as an instructor, had my first lesson with him. A few tips and i was instantly smoother, faster and more confident. Trivia...he was best mates with Jenson Buttons dad, hes named after him

These guys? I don't see Abingdon on the tracks they cover?

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/circuits.aspx