Oil indicator

Hi guys, had my Cayman S 6 months now and love it, I've had borescope and all good, just usual marks but no scoring, now I don't use it much only short journeys at the moment. Change the oil 300 miles ago, yet the oil indicator has gone down one segment checked again couple of days later and it's gone down another one, then I'll check again  and it goes up one, but now seems to if settled at 2 segments down. Is it possible to have a faulty indicator or are the mega sensitive, always checked in same position. It doesn't have any leaks and plugs are clean, it's making me paranoid.

evening, be interested to see the replies to this from those with more knowledge. When I got my S the oil level was down two notches so topped up with about a litre. Done 700 miles now and sometimes its down a notch and today was back where it was when I topped up. Today was on a nice flat car park and usually in my garage. 

Anyone else suffer the fluctuations?

• Like 1

I guess it's pretty sensitive to gradient, angle left and right plus how long the car has been standing or running. 

What im saying is that it's hard to replicate exactly the same conditions and as long as it's not more than one or two points out, all should be fine. 

Kai 

Flat surfaces are important, and also warming the oil up before checking, mines always a bar or two cold then full once warmed through. Just remember though Gen 1 will use oil and that's not a problem. I recently switched to Miller's nano and have noticed a large difference in my oil consumption though, before would lose a bar every 2k or so.

Is everything else alright? Air path, exhaust etc?  I only ask as I was told mine used a very small amount when I bought it, that increased over the first six months, to a point i was genuinely concerned I'd got a dud (~800ml/1000miles).  But at the same time the manicats were leaking a bit and that had deteriorated to the point it threw a CEL.  Fixed all of that, new manicats, replacement back boxes.  And it is now around the 150ml/1000miles mark, which I can tolerate.  

Joe.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 12:02, eponymoose said:

Actually, a gen 1 using oil is a primary sign of bore scoring. Using a little oil is fine. If the engine really has used two segments of oil (each segment is around 400ml) in 300 miles, that very much would be a problem.

That's about what mine was using when it had a new block for bore scoring.

Yes, after 300miles of course, I had worries after 2000miles and had a borescope done, but no problem upon inspection. After the minefield of forum posts about the topic, I changed the oil and used 5w40 and since doing 3k mileage the gauge has dropped one bar. The issue is different for each engine but at low milage, high usage is an issue