Newbie 981 Need Headunit Replacement Advice

Hi guys and gals,

newbie 981 Cayman owner. Absolutely  love the car, looks amazing, drives superb, sounds amazing even with standard exhaust. My only gripe, the sound system is appalling!

From my internet trawling it seems to be a common theme! I have a base cayman with some added extras, the headunit is a CDR with Bluetooth phone prep. It had Aux in and that’s it! This is a 2/3 year old car and doesn’t have Nav/usb/media inputs/Bluetooth streaming. Yet it’s touchscreen! Why bother? It’s like the person in the audio department went, “we’ve got enough bits left to make it touch screen and will hook with a phone but that’s your lot.” The hands free sound is also rubbish apparently, according to the people listening to me on the other end. 

I want to swap it out for a new double din headunit. What has anyone else done? I can’t seem to find one for 981 to replace my current set up. Mine is base unit with no speaker upgrades, no amp, no bose, no steering wheel controls etc. I would like Apple CarPlay or Nav/Bluetooth and usb connections etc.

I guess I need:

double din headunit

fascia trim

wiring harness

What else and where is best to buy? Will I lose the parking sensor pick ups?

Thanks in advance people.

Welcome.  Good choice - base 981 is all you really need.  Looks, handling, brakes, economy - what more do you need for normal road use? 

Basis sound system is just that, 3 factory upgrades offered.  Typical of Porsche to encourage buying expensive extras. 

I have found my 981 to be such a noisy car, (tyres, gears), to not even consider an upgrade of its ASK system, (the first upgrade?).  Personal choce though.

There hopefully will be others on this Forum who have added improvements and may be able to help.    

My 2014 981 Cayman 2.7 has a slight upgrade in Sound System Plus (and has Nav) and the sound is as good as the BOSE was in my TTS, but BOSE really isn't a patch on a decent sound system. My E-Class Harmon Kardon was epic (but the car was crap!). However, SSP is perfectly adequate for a noisy car and I haven't had any thoughts about making it better. 

I wonder if my hands free is also upgrade from yours? I've never had any issues with people at the other end not hearing me.

Is yours still under Porsche warranty? If so, I'd hot foot it down to your OPC and suggest you call one of them via your hands free so they can advise if there's an issue and how to correct it, hopefully FOC.

If you're just as keen to "fiddle" with the system so as to get the other benefits you list, be sure to keep the displaced bits so you can re-fit if you decide to sell the car on. Finding a buyer for a 981 that's been "messed with" will not be so easy, even if you believe your changes to be enhancements. Others won't.

I can't help with the replacement, but someone who can will be along soon...

:welcome:

Yes, really thrilled with the car itself. I’m not looking for premium sound quality, as you say it’s a noisey car and I love the sound of the flat 6!

It would just be nice to be able to play my own music on my iPhone/Media  instead of listening to FM/AM radio, also like to have Nav playing through the system too. 

• 1 month later...

Spoke to guy recently who works for Alpine and has a 987.

He's done 'loads' to his car including having colour changing leds in his engine bay etc etc

Once he gets back to me I'll let you know the options for head unit change outs

• 4 months later...
On 04/04/2018 at 06:28, Matteboy said:

Hi guys and gals,

newbie 981 Cayman owner. Absolutely  love the car, looks amazing, drives superb, sounds amazing even with standard exhaust. My only gripe, the sound system is appalling!

From my internet trawling it seems to be a common theme! I have a base cayman with some added extras, the headunit is a CDR with Bluetooth phone prep. It had Aux in and that’s it! This is a 2/3 year old car and doesn’t have Nav/usb/media inputs/Bluetooth streaming. Yet it’s touchscreen! Why bother? It’s like the person in the audio department went, “we’ve got enough bits left to make it touch screen and will hook with a phone but that’s your lot.” The hands free sound is also rubbish apparently, according to the people listening to me on the other end. 

I want to swap it out for a new double din headunit. What has anyone else done? I can’t seem to find one for 981 to replace my current set up. Mine is base unit with no speaker upgrades, no amp, no bose, no steering wheel controls etc. I would like Apple CarPlay or Nav/Bluetooth and usb connections etc.

I guess I need:

double din headunit

fascia trim

wiring harness

What else and where is best to buy? Will I lose the parking sensor pick ups?

Thanks in advance people.

Did you ever get round to swapping your head unit?