Stone Chip Repair technique?

After its 40k service, amongst other issues, my OPC returned my car with this on the bonnet...

40376290185_1fad4c6a57_k.jpg

41228846432_d6b42e2aae_b.jpg

I didn't notice until the following day as I was distracted on its arrival by the long stream of bird crap running down the front wing and into the fuel filler recess. The driver didn't offer to clean it off despite saying it hadn't been there when he set off from the OPC.

So, I can complain but the OPC will no doubt say "they all do that whoever drives them sir." Anyway, I have a few other chips which I've touched up over time and generally I'm not anal about these things.

BUT... what's your best method of touching them up? I use the little pointy "spears" as here...

s-l300-2.jpg.187e12a69874c195072fe36deb94ea6c.jpg

I very carefully fill in the chip with a tiny drop of paint and it looks perfect... until it dries and then the chip is once again hollow as the liquid in the paint evaporates. So the trick is to overfill I guess, but by how much? I'm not keen on using 2000 grade emery paper over the whole area as some suggest, just to hide the chip from immediately being seen. I also tend not to use the supplied lacquer over the paint either. Perhaps I should?

If anyone has a favourite method, or link to a video which actually works for the DIY-er, please let us know as we all have these problems from time to time.

Thanks for your input.

On 06/04/2018 at 12:13, DJMC said:

After its 40k service, amongst other issues, my OPC returned my car with this on the bonnet...

40376290185_1fad4c6a57_k.jpg

41228846432_d6b42e2aae_b.jpg

I didn't notice until the following day as I was distracted on its arrival by the long stream of bird crap running down the front wing and into the fuel filler recess. The driver didn't offer to clean it off despite saying it hadn't been there when he set off from the OPC.

So, I can complain but the OPC will no doubt say "they all do that whoever drives them sir." Anyway, I have a few other chips which I've touched up over time and generally I'm not anal about these things.

BUT... what's your best method of touching them up? I use the little pointy "spears" as here...

s-l300-2.jpg.187e12a69874c195072fe36deb94ea6c.jpg

I very carefully fill in the chip with a tiny drop of paint and it looks perfect... until it dries and then the chip is once again hollow as the liquid in the paint evaporates. So the trick is to overfill I guess, but by how much? I'm not keen on using 2000 grade emery paper over the whole area as some suggest, just to hide the chip from immediately being seen. I also tend not to use the supplied lacquer over the paint either. Perhaps I should?

If anyone has a favourite method, or link to a video which actually works for the DIY-er, please let us know as we all have these problems from time to time.

Thanks for your input.

When very I do this, its all about building up the layers, You have the colour then you have the silver, once you are happy that the chip has been filled cant see any primer or metal any more then that will be enough paint, then you use the clear coat, Build it up in the same way with layers till the level is slightly above the level of the rest of the paint when dry. Then i would go with 3000 grit to knock it down till its all flat with the rest of the paint and polish it to bring the gloss black, some cases i have had to do 2000 grit or even 1000 grit. 

Just take your time, takes while.

As said above its silver with lots of metallic so it wont blend as well as a solid colour but it should take your eye off it and you can get some very good results if you take your time.