"Total 911 Triangle"....

Craiglm68

Morning all

Some of you will have heard of/driven the above.....I noticed it mentioned in a Total 911 mag recently,   and my curiosity was piqued. It covers the A4000/4001/4507 "triangle" in rural Wiltshire....lovely countryside, very  much farming and horse racing territory.  Being upfront  and to manage expectations, it's a  (very) distant cousin to the Evo Triangle, but it's much closer to home (for me, 90 miles from Dorset)..... and it was sunny and warm early yesterday am.....and I was awake.......and the CS was overdue an exercise run.....OK; I was looking for an excuse.   

A spirited drive up the M27/M3/A34 ( little traffic...... hallelujah) saw things nicely warmed up, then some pleasant B road cruising brought me to  Ashbury, where 2 of the roads intersect.  Being early meant I only had 1 horse carrier to pass, then it was a pretty clear run  around the loop (apart from a elderly farmer in his 4WD, who fortunately was sitting on 20mph so not hard to negotiate).  I only covered the one lap before hitting traffic (as mentioned, expect to come across  rural / horse carrying machinery  plodding along the road), so cannot give you a blow by blow description of each corner, blind crest and pot hole ......not that I'm capable of such a feat at the best of times. 

I can see why Total911 like it.... it really does test all aspects of the cars low speed ride/suspension characteristics (some of the road surface is very average!) ,  combined with leg stretching runs up through the gears, well sighted braking/cornering opportunities etc.  It will keeps the driver on their toes for all sorts of reasons re the traffic, road conditions etc.  At the right time of day, it's lovely scenery (I could have stopped and taken a few panorama shots on the Iphone several times). Lots of slow, twisty, blind sections, but when the roads open up  there smooth  longer runs on decent tarmac, some twists and turns, the odd hairpin bend,  with some patches of great "line of sight". It's mainly 3rd and 4th gear territory when you're on the more pleasant bits (or 4th and 5th perhaps if you're a PDK Pilot?)

As touched on, there are downsides; narrow roads, potential for lots of slow, wide traffic coming  the other way or turning into/out of driveways, the odd horse being ridden on the road.... and pheasants!   Some sections of road are rough and old, with pot holes and similar imperfections, so perhaps not kind to big alloys with super low profile rubber.  Blind crests and corners occasionally. Not that many sections for safe overtaking.  Happy driving (and here's to the warmer weather staying for September)

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/09/2018 at 09:31, Craiglm68 said:

Morning all

Some of you will have heard of/driven the above.....I noticed it mentioned in a Total 911 mag recently,   and my curiosity was piqued. It covers the A4000/4001/4507 "triangle" in rural Wiltshire....lovely countryside, very  much farming and horse racing territory.  Being upfront  and to manage expectations, it's a  (very) distant cousin to the Evo Triangle, but it's much closer to home (for me, 90 miles from Dorset)..... and it was sunny and warm early yesterday am.....and I was awake.......and the CS was overdue an exercise run.....OK; I was looking for an excuse.   

A spirited drive up the M27/M3/A34 ( little traffic...... hallelujah) saw things nicely warmed up, then some pleasant B road cruising brought me to  Ashbury, where 2 of the roads intersect.  Being early meant I only had 1 horse carrier to pass, then it was a pretty clear run  around the loop (apart from a elderly farmer in his 4WD, who fortunately was sitting on 20mph so not hard to negotiate).  I only covered the one lap before hitting traffic (as mentioned, expect to come across  rural / horse carrying machinery  plodding along the road), so cannot give you a blow by blow description of each corner, blind crest and pot hole ......not that I'm capable of such a feat at the best of times. 

I can see why Total911 like it.... it really does test all aspects of the cars low speed ride/suspension characteristics (some of the road surface is very average!) ,  combined with leg stretching runs up through the gears, well sighted braking/cornering opportunities etc.  It will keeps the driver on their toes for all sorts of reasons re the traffic, road conditions etc.  At the right time of day, it's lovely scenery (I could have stopped and taken a few panorama shots on the Iphone several times). Lots of slow, twisty, blind sections, but when the roads open up  there smooth  longer runs on decent tarmac, some twists and turns, the odd hairpin bend,  with some patches of great "line of sight". It's mainly 3rd and 4th gear territory when you're on the more pleasant bits (or 4th and 5th perhaps if you're a PDK Pilot?)

As touched on, there are downsides; narrow roads, potential for lots of slow, wide traffic coming  the other way or turning into/out of driveways, the odd horse being ridden on the road.... and pheasants!   Some sections of road are rough and old, with pot holes and similar imperfections, so perhaps not kind to big alloys with super low profile rubber.  Blind crests and corners occasionally. Not that many sections for safe overtaking.  Happy driving (and here's to the warmer weather staying for September)

Could you point it on maps? I tried a search in gmaps for a4000 etc but wont show

I am always after some nice roads 

EDIT: or is it the b4000 you mean? theres one off ashbury

Edited by Peopleandcars

Got it (below)

Had a quick reckon with street view, looks interesting but indeed seem quality of tarmac and very narrow / blind in some points

Have done the evo triangle some time ago and was great esp for visibility but very short, can see it as lot of fun to "lap" - give it a go if you are up in wales sometime ;)

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 19.53.10.png

Edited by Peopleandcars

15 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Got it (below)

Had a quick reckon with street view, looks interesting but indeed seem quality of tarmac and very narrow / blind in some points

Have done the evo triangle some time ago and was great esp for visibility but very short, can see it as lot of fun to "lap" - give it a go if you are up in wales sometime ;)

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 19.53.10.png

Cheers, indeed it was "B" rather than "A"! I did a PCGB weekend in Wales 4 weeks after I bought my car mid last year, Anglesey Track Day included....and seeing as the Triangle was just up the road, my mate and I ran several laps , swapping cars to mix things up (996 C2).....as you observe, the Total 911 version is a poor relation to the Evo Triangle.

• Like 1