Tuning

My friend has been going on about how fantastic his tune on his Merc has gone after one year.  He says that on long drives he gets more miles to the gallon, it feels more responsive when he floors it and the acceleration starts earlier.

I do a lot of miles (25k per year) and I get it serviced every 10k. I am about to get a new clutch fitted as mine is slipping and the pedal is long.

My questions are:

- If I take it to get it tuned what can I reasonably expect and

- My car is still in Porsche Extended Warranty. Will Porsche be able to tell that something has been done to the vehicle?

Hi Graham,

Most of us who have gone the "Tune"/remap route, have done it for performance gains in the torque/power arena, and typically have improved the "breathing" of our Crocs beforehand, particularly for NA cars (Turbo cars can see material increased just with a remap alone). Personally I didn't note the economy performance of my CS before then after the remap etc. Remaps can be created to address different parameters in theory (economy, torque and power), as I understand many remaps will produce a more efficient engine which in turn can be more economical at non-warp speeds.....but the Porsche lumps are designed for torque/power rather than excellent MPG (whereas my daily commuter turbo diesel remap produced a little more power, a truckload more torque, and materially better economy). So best be realistic about what you can expect on that front from your Cayman.

More importantly,  in theory any remap would void your warranty if detected! There are remap offerings which are supposedly either a) undetectable by the dealer  (this is debated hotly!), and/or b) allow you to reset back to factor settings when you'er about to have a service etc, and go back to your "tuned"

setting thereafter. I suspect a lot of people wait until they're out of warranty

• Thanks 1

On 01/03/2020 at 14:09, graham.reeds said:

My friend has been going on about how fantastic his tune on his Merc has gone after one year.  He says that on long drives he gets more miles to the gallon, it feels more responsive when he floors it and the acceleration starts earlier.

I do a lot of miles (25k per year) and I get it serviced every 10k. I am about to get a new clutch fitted as mine is slipping and the pedal is long.

My questions are:

- If I take it to get it tuned what can I reasonably expect and

- My car is still in Porsche Extended Warranty. Will Porsche be able to tell that something has been done to the vehicle?

Is you friends Merc n/a, Turbo Diesel, Turbo Petrol or.....?

My Dads Turbo Petrol Merc gained 70bhp and over 100lb-ft from a simple re-map. Not amounts you'll be gaining on a n/a 987 !

More about gaining a few bhp (Often fairly high up the rev-range mind....), some low down torque / added driveabilitly, some smoothing out of the power-curve, better throttle response.......and possibly more MPG as Craig mentioned.

I had a remap done on my 987. And whilst not revolutionary - i felt it was worth what i paid and i can notice the improvements from my seat-of-the-butt Dyno 😁

• Like 1