Post lockdown trackday at Donington 8 June 2020

Cheeksyboy

I’d be very interested in how your cup 2s on the Oz Ultraleggara wheels feel -

that’s a combo I’d like to try. I believe the Oz wheels are cheaper and lighter than 987 spyder rims? 🤔

On 15/06/2020 at 18:23, Windymiller said:

I’d be very interested in how your cup 2s on the Oz Ultraleggara wheels feel -

that’s a combo I’d like to try. I believe the Oz wheels are cheaper and lighter than 987 spyder rims? 🤔

before the Cup2s, the OZ came with Super Sports and these are, in my view, a really good road and occasional track tyre. I weighed the wheels in this combo against my Spyders (which are fitted with PS2, for now!) and there was very little in it overall.....so I can only conclude that if the wheel is lighter the tyres are possibly taking out the advantage (there was about 0.5kg delta in favour of the OZ + tyre).

I haven't weighed them with the Cup2s fitted so will now progress to 'feel'!

The Cup2s need more heat in them to start generating grip, even in the dry.....which is paid off by a much greater level of grip overall. The side wall is much stiffer than the Super Sports and you can therefore generate more lateral grip....and I'd say there is more feedback in the Super Sport on when grip is going just because the shoulder probably 'folds' earlier. However, when either Cup2 or Super Sport break traction it is possible to feel the tyre give up the grip and counter steer (if appropriate) accordingly. For track driving, with occasional road use, the Cup2s are a no brainer. They have much more grip in the dry (I've only driven them once on track in damp conditions and I'd say that they are about the same or slower than the Super Sport in such conditions, depending on how greasy the track is).

Hope that helps!?