Rear pads retaining clips / springs

Am halfway through fitting these today, and a few points to note for anyone else doing theirs anytime:

defintely the textar pad type 2179203 (ECP & CP4L pt no 101330176) is the correct pad for gen2 S. This is the pad that takes the ‘pin’ type sensor, not ‘horseshoe’ type. 

the ‘W’ shape spring retaining clip is definitely different between front & rear callipers / pads. The front one is shorter (to fit within the ‘ears’ on the pads). CP4L and ECP only list the front one with pt no 107330038, so I’ll have to reuse the rusty old ones from the rear and order shiny new ones from OPC or D911 (whichever cheaper - probably Porsche... 🤔🤨). 

Also the retaining barrel pin that holds the ‘W’ spring clip in place is different between front and rears, here the front is longer (because the callipers are wider)

incidentally the front calliper ‘W’ clip kit is the same as the rears on a VW Tuareg 3.6 (presumably because the Tuareg rear callipers are the same Brembo item as Porsche fit to the Cayman / Boxster fronts) - but guess what, they’re cheaper (like £8 on eBay 🙄) - and D911 has these at ~£50 (+VAT +P&P)... 🤨

Alternative part no.s for the front pad retaining clips:

Borg & Beck: BBK1327,

Mintex: MBA1660

HELLA: 8DZ 355 203-191

TEXTAR: 82076600

Delphi: LX0450

And...

The anti-vibration dampening discs are 2 different sizes (28mm & 30mm), you need 4 of each in total as each caliper uses 2 of each size. 

For this job I treated myslef to a new jack (had my existing 2-ton Halfords cheap special for about 14 years - bought it to replace a shredded auxiliary drive belt on my Mitsubishi FTO GPX (wistful moment down memory lane there 😏)), and bought the Halfords professional range 2-ton low-entry / high rise jack. £120, but OMG what a difference it makes to getting the car up quick and safely. I can actually fit my axle stands in on their 2nd highest setting, with the ‘twist-in’ axle stand pads fitted too (which protect the paintwork on the car jack points). 

ECE82F84-211F-491C-892C-A609302269C3.jpeg

1B78DC1C-C600-4241-8E11-CC86106BD15A.jpeg

Edited by Windymiller
Updated intel

• 1 year later...

Time for changing rear pads again, still can’t find sensibly priced rear pad retaining clips, and currently CP4L don’t even have the (2010>) textar rear pads (2179203) in stock, only the incorrectly referenced <2009 textar rear pads (2454101). 

However, I did find the correct textar 2179203 pads on ebay in the arnold Clark parts store for an astonishingly low £21.93 with free P&P!

Not even CP4L or AUTODOC with discount codes can match that price. 

Get em whilst theyre cheap and available… 😉👍🏻

Edited by Windymiller
Illiteracy corrections….
  • Thanks 1