Cayman R Suspension Refresh - ARB first

1 hour ago, Beanoir™ said:

weight of the wheels, wiggle the spring and or damper and check for play basically.  Also, with the car stationary on the ground, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and listen and feel for any knocking or binding.  

Makes sense. Will do.

Checked shock top mounts and apart from very slight sideways play in the top of the spring where it sits in the top mount (feels normal to me and is the same on both sides of car) the shock feels really tight.

However, I did start hitting the control arms with a mallet and can hear a definite difference between the two sides.  Have a listen to video.

https://youtu.be/Hjvs4S9AxaY

Camera might not pick it up but it sound like vertical play and similar character to what I hear inside car ...Think I was actually hitting the passenger side one harder at the end and it still sounds better damped overall.  New Meyle ones in transit from Autodoc as part of this weeks order..

Edited by Andyoz

19 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

However, I did start hitting the control arms with a mallet and can hear a definite difference between the two sides.  Have a listen to video.

https://youtu.be/Hjvs4S9AxaY

Try hitting the tuning fork from the coffin arm end (length ways - where the fork attaches). The play that develops is in the ball joint bit that attaches to the chassis and so hitting it that way (which would be the way the force acts upon it when driving) may give you a better clue.

As I say, the play is tiny (like 1/4 of a mm) but it can make quite a significant clonking noise which you can kind of feel in your feet.

Just price checked parts with OPC.  It's over 3 x the price of Meyle.

Drop link left rear 99734306904 - £72.96

Drop link right rear 99734307004 - £83.72

Drop link left front 99734306904 - £72.96

Drop link right front 99734307004 - £83.72

Lower wishbone 99134105302 - £377.72 (2 req)

Tuning fork 99734104302 - £211.94 (2 req)

Edited by Andyoz

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Try hitting the tuning fork from the coffin arm end (length ways - where the fork attaches). The play that develops is in the ball joint bit that attaches to the chassis and so hitting it that way (which would be the way the force acts upon it when driving) may give you a better clue.

As I say, the play is tiny (like 1/4 of a mm) but it can make quite a significant clonking noise which you can kind of feel in your feet.

OK, see new video with lateral mallet hits.  I can hear the same difference in character between the two sides. The metallic clunking sound really kicks in when I get a solid side ways mallet hit on the lower nut where it bolts into the coffin arm.

It could still be a coffin arms bushing issue that I'm exciting here but at least I'm narrowing it down.  Even the passenger side control arm/coffin arm bushings must have a certain amount of wear so neither side on the video could be the sound of a true 'good one'

If it's the control arm, I'll replace both sides now and leave the full suspension refresh until winter.  Looks an easy part to change and won't trigger need for new alignment (I think)

Edited by Andyoz