DashCam install - need permanent live (and switched)

I am installing a hardwired dashcam, I have a fuse tap for the switched source to power on dashcam but I also need a permanent live source for the parking mode monitoring (ignition off).

I guess i could tap a permanent on fuse as well - but is there a good permanent live source in a 987.2 other than the fuse box?

Thanks

Mark

22 hours ago, futureechos said:

I am installing a hardwired dashcam, I have a fuse tap for the switched source to power on dashcam but I also need a permanent live source for the parking mode monitoring (ignition off).

I guess i could tap a permanent on fuse as well - but is there a good permanent live source in a 987.2 other than the fuse box?

Thanks

Mark

Just to close this off I used 2x fuse taps as could not find a suitable permanent feed without a lot of dashboard removal.

and that’s too much work for a Sunday..

Sounds like a job well done! 

May I ask, did you pick up power from the overhead lamps and the wire then dropping down to behind the rear view mirror? 

On a side note, wise to inform your insurance company as some class it as a modification.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/92728/why-did-a-hardwired-dash-camera-void-my-insurance-policy-#:~:text=The dash cam%2C regardless of,power feed to the camera.

On 13/03/2022 at 21:57, Julian987 said:

Sounds like a job well done! 

May I ask, did you pick up power from the overhead lamps and the wire then dropping down to behind the rear view mirror? 

On a side note, wise to inform your insurance company as some class it as a modification.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/92728/why-did-a-hardwired-dash-camera-void-my-insurance-policy-#:~:text=The dash cam%2C regardless of,power feed to the camera.

No - I got power from footwell with 2x fuse taps.

Ref insurance - interesting - I thought they reduced insurance costs... FFS.

Not hardwired though - the fuse taps can be removed in <5mins. Its not soldered in.

Edited by futureechos

8 hours ago, futureechos said:

No - I got power from footwell with 2x fuse taps.

Ref insurance - interesting - I thought they reduced insurance costs... FFS.

Not hardwired though - the fuse taps can be removed in <5mins. Its not soldered in.

and may I ask where does the lead come out then to connect to the dash cam, do you positioned behind the rear view mirror? Just wondering how much lead is on show?

Best regards

15 hours ago, Julian987 said:

and may I ask where does the lead come out then to connect to the dash cam, do you positioned behind the rear view mirror? Just wondering how much lead is on show?

Best regards

Yes - dashcam is completely behind the mirror, 2x cables up into the roof lining, across to 'A' pillar, down behind seals, a compartment by drivers door on dash and down behind fuse box carpet cover.

The rear cam was a pain as had to hide a lot of cable behind panel above drivers door, and with the cam on the glass there is a bit of slack require for opening the boot. I found tucking behind the panel gave the shortest loop on the RHS of the boot which isn't visible in rear view mirror.  If you want I'll take a couple more pics but only got these of the fuse box in footwell to hand.  If it help this is very useful too.

fuse2.jpg

fuse1.jpg