Rear CV Joint

Hello all!

I've just recently bought myself a Cayman S, and I thought it would be a good idea to put into my local place to give it the once over.

It's came back that the passenger rear CV joint is leaking. Any ideas on what it will cost to replace one of these? And will it be an easy enough job for them?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

• Founder

Hi Stuart, 

If the CV boot itself is not perished or split then it's a case of replacing the metal straps that hold the boot on.  Not a particularly difficult job but it's recommended to put new grease in, a high temperature synthetic grease like the Redline stuff is well regarded.  

Its quite a common issue and normally just the clamps need replacing and making sure they are properly tightened.  The high temperature of the brakes and exhaust can make the grease more fluid and hence leak. 

If the boot is split then it will need to be replaced which is a bit more of a job because the drive shaft has to be pulled out. 

Do you know if it's the inner or outta cv joint? 

Edited by Beanoir
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Hi Stuart, 

If the CV boot itself is not perished or split then it's a case of replacing the metal straps that hold the boot on.  Not a particularly difficult job but it's recommended to put new grease in, a high temperature synthetic grease like the Redline stuff is well regarded.  

Its quite a common issue and normally just the clamps need replacing and making sure they are properly tightened.  The high temperature of the brakes and exhaust can make the grease more fluid and hence leak. 

If the boot is split then it will need to be replaced which is a bit more of a job because the drive shaft has to be pulled out. 

Do you know if it's the inner or outta cv joint? 

Thanks for your reply Beanoir!

Good info and knowledge there for me to take onboard. I won't be carrying it out myself, but at least I know the score when the garage advises what to do...

Unsure if it's the inner or outer I'm afraid.

This is the pic they supplied, apologies for the poor quality!