What do you use ?

StevieP

I use a plastic trim removal tool (or you could use a plant butter knife and put some card between it and the plastic trim to prevent scratching), lever under the carpet and pop it up from one of the corners.  The carpet has tabs around the edge which fit into the surround, but they are more for location than actually holding it down.  

The metal engine plate under this then requires a torx tool to undo a few bolts and then you're in! 

carpet_cover_b_3lo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the best tool for removing the carpeted trim shelf is an old wooden stir fry spatula. The sort used in non-stick wok cooking.

Using this tool doesn't damage the interior trim or the carpet shelf, and the broad leverage area works very well.

Brian    

• Like 1

For those unfamiliar with my "foreign phrases", this is what a wooden wok cooking spatula looks like.

Works a treat for removing the carpet parcel shelf on the Cayman.

Pleased to help.

Brian

Spatula.jpg

I use a flat-head screwdriver with a cloth around it, there are probably much safer, better ways to do it but it does work, just take it nice and slow! 

• 4 weeks later...

Good tip with the wooden spatula! I've a cheapo set of trim removal tools from Amazon which would probably do the trick but the surface area of a spatula is much more appropriate. Cheers!