Brake pads for an R

Estoril

Quickly following up on my wheel refurb question I'd like to know what people recommend for replacement brake pads, are the standard ones perfectly good for road use or are there better alternatives?

My experience with brake pads for the CR on road and occasional track days are as are as follows:-

I used Brembo High Performance pads fitted own both front and rear for a whole year. You have to remove and put aside the brake sensors on each calliper with the Brembo pads as they don't have the correct slots in the pad backing plate for the sensors to fit. You will need to make up "dummy" brake sensor connectors with the wires twisted together and insulated, to avoid a brake system warning code appearing. These dummies are easily made up from old sensor plug-ins. The Brembo pads worked well for both road use and track days. They provided more consistent big stops from high speed compared to the standard Textra CR pads.

I also tried EBC Yellow Stuff front pads, while retaining the standard CR pads on the rear. I found this combination worked very well for both road use and track days. The EBC pads performed even better than the Brembo HP in my opinion. They also had the advantage of retaining the standard brake wear sensor connections.

If you are interested in doing a track day now and again, I would also recommend swapping the brake master cylinder for a larger diameter GT3 item. I fitted this together with Goodridge steel braided flexible brake pipes. This mod has the effect of reducing the brake pedal travel during repeated big stops, and makes for easier heeling and toeing. That's my experience anyway.

Incidentally, I removed the GT3 MC and Goodridge pipes, together with the nearly new EBC Yellow Stuff Pads from my CR before I sold the car a few months ago.

If you are interested, I would be prepared to sell the complete kit of GT3 MC, 4 - Goodridge steel braided pipes, Front EBC Yellow stuff pads for a fraction of the new cost.

All the parts are in as new condition.

Brian                        

Thanks Brian, will be leaving it as standard as poss due to the warranty, I had thought the Brembo pads would be OK but if the pad wear sensors won't fit I won't be going that way...

3 hours ago, Highland Fling said:

In that case I'd recommend the EBC Yellow stuff pads without question. 

Brian

Glad to hear the yellow stuff work well. Fitted a set for my track day in October. On mine the rears require the horseshoe type sensors, the original have the plug  in type. Annoying but not a disaster, simply wrapped the sensors out of the way

I had the EBC yellows.  They are a good compromise. Now have Pagid RS29s, with braided hose GT3MC and GT3 brake ducts.  RS29s are better in terms of retardation and feel but they squeal a bit on the road.  Doesn't bother me - winds the Mrs up a treat!

On 14/09/2016 at 16:34, Highland Fling said:

Incidentally, I removed the GT3 MC and Goodridge pipes, together with the nearly new EBC Yellow Stuff Pads from my CR before I sold the car a few months ago.

If you are interested, I would be prepared to sell the complete kit of GT3 MC, 4 - Goodridge steel braided pipes, Front EBC Yellow stuff pads for a fraction of the new cost.

All the parts are in as new condition.

Brian                        

How much? 

I'll get a photo of all the brake parts organised and post it together with price on the For Sale section of the Forum. The price will be very fair and include P&P.

These brake parts work really well on a CR.

Incidentally, I had 9mm front wheel spacers and OE 5mm spacers on the rear with Spyder alloys and Michelin Cup 2's. This combination proved ideal, after much trial and error.

Brian