Film Protection?

Porker

Second time since I bought the car in July someone has scuffed the rear bumper! I'm able to polish it out without drama but at some point it's going to be unrepairable. My car isn't top value so don't want to get the whole car wrapped, the bumpers and perhaps the rear wings as people seem to have a magnetic attraction to them. Any places in London that can be recommended? I'm off until the new year, I'd rather not have to trek miles away. These guys are near by, anyone know them? http://www.bellissimoto.co.uk/car-detailing-services-london/paint-protection-film/

If you get the film scuffed, won't it mean replacing the film rather than polishing it out? Or are you thinking it will self-heal if it's the same level of damage?

5 minutes ago, DJMC said:

If you get the film scuffed, won't it mean replacing the film rather than polishing it out? Or are you thinking it will self-heal if it's the same level of damage?

Yes, will polish out but protect the paint so when I sell on I can simply remove the film if the scuff cannot be polished out completely. The film will be thicker than the lacquer coat so could perhaps take more scuffing?  Depends on cost, a bumper respray is £400 ish? So will see. 

On 17 December 2016 at 17:12, Porker said:

Yes, will polish out but protect the paint so when I sell on I can simply remove the film if the scuff cannot be polished out completely. The film will be thicker than the lacquer coat so could perhaps take more scuffing?  Depends on cost, a bumper respray is £400 ish? So will see. 

Got a quote, I'm may go for it, bumpers only. Living in London it's inevitable I'll get small knocks and I'm parked on the street. Never really bothered me before as I've always had cheap motors. I can get a bumper respray end for a similar cost but the self healing think looks good. He gave me a demo. I'll sleep on it! If I'd spent £10k more on the car I'd consider getting the whole car done. 

See below low for the quote.... They seem like a good outfit by the way, said that they polish out the swirls etc prior to application. 

Paint Protection Film (PPF)
As discussed, we would recommend Xpel Ultimate. Xpel Ultimate PPF is virtually invisible, doesn’t degrade or discolour, but incredibly, Xpel Ultimate is also self-healing. This means that any scratches or stone chip marks will just vanish over time - or quicker with hot water or a hairdryer! The films are guaranteed for 10 years and create a barrier that helps to prevent stone chip damage and scratches. If the film is at anytime damaged, then it is a straightforward exercise to replace the damaged panel. 

Costs (fitted)
1. Front bumper section £389.00
2. Rear bumper section £389.00
3. Rear quarter panels £250.00 (each)
(all prices ex vat)

Thought I would add a few comments as I got my car PPF'd at Mintcondition (the whole car was done with the exception of the roof, doors and rear spoiler.  Few pictures below.

The first advice I would give is actually see their work as its the installer that makes the difference.  The film you are going for it very good the other highly rated one is from Suntech.  Although there is a new spray on film that has just been developed that will remove any lines being shown and is self healing.

The other question to ask is are they going to remove any parts as this has an impact on how visable the film is, some wont remove the lights as shown on the picture so you will have a subtle edge line there.

Another consideration to have is do you have a correction detail prior?  The film will hide a lot of imperfections in the paint but the gloss retention is defiantly superior.

Finally, ask the installer if they put any protection over the film.  Most people add XPEL. 

I have been extremely impressed with the film my bumper got scuffed against by someone parking next to me and amazingly the film is in tact and no damage to the car.  I would stress this was a very light low speed hit but still its saved a respray.

front bumper 1.jpg

front bumper 2.jpg

front bumper 3.jpg

finished front end.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Langlord said:

Thought I would add a few comments as I got my car PPF'd at Mintcondition (the whole car was done with the exception of the roof, doors and rear spoiler.  Few pictures below.

The first advice I would give is actually see their work as its the installer that makes the difference.  The film you are going for it very good the other highly rated one is from Suntech.  Although there is a new spray on film that has just been developed that will remove any lines being shown and is self healing.

The other question to ask is are they going to remove any parts as this has an impact on how visable the film is, some wont remove the lights as shown on the picture so you will have a subtle edge line there.

Another consideration to have is do you have a correction detail prior?  The film will hide a lot of imperfections in the paint but the gloss retention is defiantly superior.

Finally, ask the installer if they put any protection over the film.  Most people add XPEL. 

I have been extremely impressed with the film my bumper got scuffed against by someone parking next to me and amazingly the film is in tact and no damage to the car.  I would stress this was a very light low speed hit but still its saved a respray.

front bumper 1.jpg

front bumper 2.jpg

front bumper 3.jpg

finished front end.jpg

I will, thanks. I saw an Audi they had done, looked great to my admittedly untrained eye. My car is 47000 miles old and has a few stone chips but it OK condition paint wise. I don't want to spend loads, just protect it from parking scrapes in London. Any more than the above and I'd simply leave it until sale time and get the bumpers resprayed. Hopefully the protection is good enough for most low speed scuffs, was v impressed by the self healing.