Aftermarket head unit that will turn on and off with the ignition

Andy L

My 2008 Cayman S has the ultra basic sound system installed (one speaker in each of the doors), no amp and the CDR 24 head unit. I'm looking to get a decent uplift in quality, without spending the earth. I've just purchased a set of Rockford Fosgate 165-S Prime speakers which apparently drop straight in without any alterations, so now I just need to source a head unit. I'm really interested in a Carplay system as I'll use my phone as the main source, and I like the idea of having a reasonable sat-nav (apple maps) that I don't have to upgrade on a regular basis.

The unit that I was going to order was the Pioneer SPH-DA120, however I've just read a couple of threads where they outline that in a Porsche 987/997 the HU doesn't switch on and off without running a separate feed from the fusebox to the HU. I don't really want to get into having to running new wires. I'm really looking for something that I can drop straight in with the addition of a wiring harness adaptor. Does anyone have any experience of an aftermarket HU manufacturer who's kit will turn on and off via the ignition with minimal fuss?

Thanks in advance! 

I believe all aftermarket units will have the same requirement for a switched feed, which is tricky to find on a Porsche (always has been).  

A feed to the fuse box is really easy and worth doing.  I wouldn't let that out you off buying a decent head unit.  

• 2 months later...

Yes, I followed Dave's advice and ran a switched feed of the fuse box which was really easy to do with an adapted fuse that I brought from Halfords. If it's something you are looking at doing let me know and I'll Let you know which fuse position worked for me.

I spent ages last summer, lying half upside down paying homage to contortionists, with my fusebox and kick panel hanging out, grovelling around with a DVM and a laptop hunting out a suitable switched circuit for my roof mounted GPS/media system. all I can remember is that it was a black wire with a yellow trace somewhere towards the bottom of the fuse box. I then had to unlace the wiring loom to separate the wires so that I could splice a new core in then re-lace it all back up. I should have photographed it whilst I did it and kept a record I suppose. silly me.

• 2 weeks later...

The picture below shows what I did to get the switched feed to the head unit. As Bushman says it can take a while to find a suitable switched circuit, but you can clearly see in the picture the one that worked for me. I got the adapter from Halfords, it was in with all of the Autoleads audio connectors, cost around £5 but made life a hell of a lot easier, and when the fuse compartment lis is on everything looks standard!

IMG_1989.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...