My first cayman!

Ljh

Good morning everyone. 

So im looking at purchasing a Cayman! 

This will be my first sports car I'll be moving moving from a cooper S so no comparison. But I'm sure you'll a agree it's a good upgrade. 

My my issue is I don't know what I'm looking at. I fully aware I expect things like tyres, brakes, oil, servicing are all slightly more expensive and frequent. 

However, you do hear some horror stories on second hand models. While I'm sure there a threads I just wanted some straight up points to look for. 

The model im interested in is 2010 2.9 43k black, reverse sensors, touch screen, 18's. so few extra options but 25k! 

Am I paying too much? 

Whats tell tail signs something not right? 

Is extended warranty worth it? 

Service history..previous replacement parts etc. 

I hope you guys can share a little insight. 

Thanks for reading ! 

• Administrators

First of all, welcome! 

I wouldn't suggest that servicing or w&t items should be more frequent, but could be a bit more expensive although not horrendous. 

The car you are looking at there is a Gen 2 car and so many of the 'horror stories' you refer to do not apply.  Because of this the Gen 2 cars do command quite a premium over the Gen 1 cars, so well into the £20k+ bracket.  Its difficult to say though without seeing the car as to whether it is overpriced.  Is it a main dealer (OPC) car or private sale, warranty, decent service history etc?  I would expect at 43k miles that the car would have seen some replacement items, so definitely try to find out/check paperwork. 

Have you checked out the buyers guides yet, if not they may be helpful for some bits. 

http://www.caymanoc.com/library/

Thanks for the reply really helpful. The company is QCC in Essex. They only sell high end cars. No mention of service history in advert. More detail about how many awards the company have won. So not sure what to make of them. 

Im a little sceptical buying privately but always open to it and more confident knowing what to look for. 

Again in thanks for the welcome message 

2 hours ago, Ljh said:

Thanks for the reply really helpful. The company is QCC in Essex. They only sell high end cars. No mention of service history in advert. More detail about how many awards the company have won. So not sure what to make of them. 

Im a little sceptical buying privately but always open to it and more confident knowing what to look for. 

Again in thanks for the welcome message 

i bought from Dove Motors, excellent experience, not the cheapest though. Yes the Gen 2 cars do  command a premium. Dove, RPM no some others are dealers and good Indy garages so the OUGHT to be well checked over.

Is it manual or PDK? Even if you're absolutely certain you want manual, try the PDK first, then make your mind up. If it is PDK, the fluid should have been changed after 6 years, so if it has already been done, that would be a good indication of the previous owner's attitude to maintenance.

Ask to see evidence that the engine has not been over-revved. They should be able to show you a printout. If there's anything on there that concerns you, do your research first, put it into context, then decided if it's an issue. For example, 3 ignitions in Range 1 that occurred over 500 hours ago is nothing to worry about. Of course if it comes back 100% clear, that's great.

The warranty is there to protect the seller, not the buyer. A trader has to repair any faults that develop in the early stages, so why should they make you pay for a warranty and put the responsibility onto the warranty provider? Of course if they offer an in-house 2 year warranty that's comparable with one that Porsche main dealers would provide, that's different.

Cheers,

Bryan

I bought my first ever Porsche 2 months ago from Dove Motors. I paid £25,900 for a 2012 Cayman 29,000 miles with a new set of tyres. On that basis, you are overpaying. The Porsche warranty is good value compared with other warranties. You pay about £200 for a 111 point check and if it passes £600 for 1 year or about £1,100 for 2 years. It makes sense to have the 2 year warranty to save paying for the 111 point check again in year 2. Dove Motors would not reduce the price by a penny but my research showed it was a fair price. The car is thrilling! 

Thank you for the insight. I thought the price was a bit steep. 

Which model did you go for if I may ask. Ideally I'd like the 3.2 s but seems like a safer bet getting the 2.9