Gen 2 DFI Engine & mileage

jmcc42uk

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a 2010 Gen 2 Cayman S with 50k miles on it.  It's the exact colour and spec that I want....even has the wheels that I want.

The question for discussion is... Are the higher mileage cars running into any engine problems like the last generation?  Any other issues or reasons not to consider a car with slightly higher miles.  I realise 50k isn't much in the grand scheme of things but it's getting to a time when some cars need bits doing.  

Great forum by the way.....hope it goes from strength to strength as there isn't really a dedicated UK Cayman forum.

• Like 1

I think you're right in saying that 50k miles is not high mileage, and the DFI engines are proving to be quite reliable hence the premium you pay to have a GenII car.  

With a 50k+ miles car the more likely issues are going to be clutch, suspension components and routine maintenance items.  Ensure it has a good service history and receipts for work carries out would be a bonus.  Budget £1.5k for a refresh at that mileage and should be ok. 

Well my Gen2 car is touching 50k now and the engine is fine, sounds the same as it did at 20k in all honesty.  

My clutch is getting a bit heavy, so I would expect to be doing it this year, or in the next few thousand miles.  No suspension issues really, I had track rod ends done earlier this year to cure some vagueness but wasn't particularly expensive, in fact I got both sides done as a precaution even though only one side needed doing.  

I would say, if the price is right and the condition is good and comes with good service history then thats the most important thing, as everybody says...buy on condition. 

They are well bolted together things. Just make sure its got proper service history. If its OPC great, reputable indy almost as good if you dont want an OPC warranty. 

This is the car - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-3-4-s---gen-ii---------------2010/5119644?v=b

It's only had two services and the next is due in March.  It's got sports chrono and PASM which it nice.  

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I see the ad reads "Next service & MOT March 2016 INCLUDED in asking price".

Next is a minor service.

I guess it will be their in-house servicing.

In an ideal world you'd want to bring this service forward AND have it carried out by a local Porsche Centre to give you some peace of mind.

Can't find much on this dealer. Some here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1479654

I'd go see it, suss them out, express your concerns, see what warranty you get and what the options are on extending it, then make a decision.

REMEMBER though... if you like it when you've driven it, all SENSE will go out the window and you'll become a dribbling "I must have this no matter what" zombie. Beware the car salesman!

Looks a good car PASM suspension is great even though you'll never use the hard setting. It looks a good price to be fair. They have a very cheap Cayman R in as well. 

Right guys,

I've stuck a deposit down on the above car, so pending a good test drive, the car is mine !  Very excited. 

Also managed to get a bit of money off the asking price and they are doing the next service (with brake fluid & MOT) at Byfleet Porsche Centre all includuded in the deal.