Burning rubber smell

Over the past few days I have used the Cayman a good bit.  However I have noticed a burning rubber smell when I get out after a journey.

A quick Google suggests it's fairly normal but I haven't smelt this before the last few days.

A variety of journeys, both in length and driving style, still the same smell?

Any ideas chaps?

It’s very common and the general believe is the exhausts are burning something which could be rubber debris (your tyres and from the road); plastic (bags, wrappers etc) picked up and stuck to the exhaust, all manner of other things.  

• Like 1

I get this on the 981 or at least the feeling of heat near the rear wheels and then a faint rubber smell.  Never narrowed it down to anything sinister and a quick google made it sound almost normal.

H.

• Like 1

I've also noticed this, but only recently and when I am getting my briefcase out of the boot after my commute home. The only things that have changed that I could think might have an effect are: new, different brand of rear tyres, cold external temperature (heating related). Does seem to be a problem though.

I have a 987 Cayman and always get the hot rubber and plastic smell after a nice healthy blast. Mainly from drivers side engine intake. I like it, smells like it’s being doing something :) . 

Edited by Buggyjam
  • Like 1

Relieved to see this post, I put mine up on ramps and had a good crawl around to see if I could see what what causing the smell. But apparently "they all do that sir". 

I think it’s the location and design of the whole engine and exhaust system. It’s nicely placed in the firing line to cook up some general rubber and brake deposits, anything really that needs a nice good cooking and then waft it out the side with a mixture of oil smell :-). I think it smells quite nice. I’ve been in the paddocks at goodwood and reminds me of some of the smells you get off racing cars.