981 Cayman - Centre Armrest lift

DJMC

Hmmm.... Sticky Fixers don't like the rubber mat - they don't stick, with the result that the rear of the hinge comes up when I put weight on the front of it with my elbow on the armrest. So... now revised as follows:

The hinge is now stuck underneath the armrest with the same three Sticky Fixers (so that the armrest still closes fully). I tried to remove the hinge today just to trim a little off the (just visible) Sticky Fixers, but it's stuck so well I decided to leave it be...

412045641.jpg

It's held in the "up" position, as shown above, by two of the disc magnets which, by chance, have the same radius and centre hole diameter as the hinge end. Theres a 5mm diameter bolt through all three items to hold them in position. As the armrest is moved downwards, and the hinge has been released from its parked position by a little finger pressure, it moves forwards...

412045642.jpg

As the front magnet reaches the armrest base it grabs the front of a steel washer stuck to the front right surface of the base interior (not shown). The magnet slides down the face of this until it simply rests on the rubber mat. I tried it without the washer first, but when I took my arm off the armrest the hinge would tend to "jingle" as it was able to move slightly up and down. Again, pure chance that the magnet chooses to slide down to the mat rather than rest on the washer's top edge...

412045639.jpg

The washer gives a little "grip" to hold the armrest from moving upwards under its light springing, although the weight of the hinge and magnets keep it fairly neutral...

412045640.jpg

A neater solution now...

412045638.jpg

To stow the "prop" in the up position, so that the armrest can be fully closed, I just open it swiftly and the hinge swings back so that the rear magnet grabs the static part of the hinge and sticks to it.

Edited by DJMC