Gear lever

I recently suffered breakage of my gear cables and replaced them with Numeric cables which have greatly improved things with a more positive and direct feel, highly recommended. However now when in 2nd  4th  or 6th the lever is practically in contact with the back of the gaiter surround and I can't remember how it was before! Any idea of where the lever is normally in these gears would be appreciated.

Many thanks

John

probably should be about 20mm clear of the gaiter surround but this can be adjusted by adjusting  the coupling  on the lower cable at the shifter end. effectively shortening the cable will position the shifter further forward. hope this helps

When you swap the cables it is always best to use one of these shifter lock tools.

This little bracket holds the shift lever in the neutral position.

This part is supplied when you buy a short shifter so it can't be hard to find someone that can spare it for a day.

Edited by @carnewal
  • Like 1

Many thanks for replies. Yes Bushman the lever is too close to the gaiter surround so need to take action. Out came the centre console again and it seems that on the Numeric cable that has lock nuts on the adjustors had worked loose causing the lever to be too far back. I took Carnewal's advice and using this little plastic gizmo achieved the optimum position so all is back to normal ( for now ) Thanks for you help.

• Like 1