Cayman R suspension on 2.9

On 28/06/2018 at 06:19, eponymoose said:

I would lean towards either just going with the Cayman R springs or pairing them with Bilstein sport dampers.

The springs are only slightly higher rate  than standard and will work fine with the stock dampers ifyou mainly want the -20mm. To get the full Cayman R chassis experience, if that's what you seek, would indeed require the wheels, which are very expensive. The full spring and damper and bar package, too, which is also expensive. It'll cost a fortune. If you are totally price insensitive, I guess go for it.

The more cost effective way of getting pretty close to the Cayman R chassis experience would be Cayman R springs and some sport dampers from Bilstein. Do not buy the Bilstein B12 kit that comes complete with Eibach springs. The Eibach springs for 987 are a mess.

You could also pair the Bilstein dampers with H&R springs. They are -10mm versus the Cayman R springs but otherwise pretty similar in terms of rates. If it was me and I was trying to keep costs under control, I'd go with the Bilstein dampers and either the R springs or the H&R springs.

Otherwise, it's KW V3, Bilstein B16 PSS9 or Ohlins. Ohlins are probably technically the best but probably also need a bit more knowledge to really exploit re choosing springs rates and then setting it all up - so the cost can be quite high. KW are fiddly, too. The Billy B16s are a bit more straight forward / turn key and most people would be pretty happy with the results and would be a pretty cost effective solution all round. If I was doing my car again, I would go B16. Not quite as good as Ohlins, but a fair bit cheaper and will still give you a great handling 987.

Hi, which model of bilstein dampers are you suggesting to go with the HR springs pls.

Thanks

21 hours ago, eponymoose said:

Whoops, sorry. You asked about H&R springs. With those springs, definitely the B8 shocks with the shorter body.

Thanks for replying.  I'm getting a swishing/whooshing sound when i go over humps.  Not sure if my stick shocks are due for a change.  They are at least 5 years old. And since my suspension mounts, bearings, bump stops and related springs and bellows need a change, I thought I'd change the while setup.

Will the b8 hr combi ride a lot stiffer?