Cayman R suspension on 2.9

I think there are a few guys over on Planet9 who have put Cayman R suspension on standard and S 987s, have a little search over there. I think it would be a great upgrade, although you can probably pickup a set of PSS9 coil overs for roughly the same price if you were looking for more adjustment. 

Personally, I love how the R setup seems to handle everything I throw at it so well, but if I was modding a standard Cayman, I'd probably look at other options, too. 

i looked into this a while back and came to the conclusion its not worth doing.

the front anti roll bar is the same as the S,so buy a used one from a breakers(assuming the 2.9 uses a thinner bar in the 1st place).

the rear anti roll bar is fractionally thicker on the R than the S,so again for the 2.9 put on an S ARB( if the 2.9 uses a thinner bar)

and i would just use the H and R lowering springs which give you approx -15,-20mm drop(not the 30-35mm that they claim).

4 wheel alignment to R specs(a touch more front neg camber) and you done.

Fitting lower springs will only deliver the lower ride height, not the actual ride that the R suspension would give - ideally you want springs and dampers to be matched. 

I'm assuming that the R dampers are different to the standard / S dampers - pretty sure they have different part numbers.

That said, a good set of springs can make a huge difference; I fitted Mountune springs to my Focus RS keeping the standard dampers and the ride was drastically improved - probably proving that Ford didn't do a good job of matching the spring rates and dampers at the factory. 

23 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Thanks for the replies

I'm an obsessive with oem even if at a premium

Its not just about premium, it’s about the fact that Ohlins or similar are a lot better than the standard R suspension.  

Ask @eponymoose for his thoughts - he's driven Caymans with standard suspension, various Bilstein setups including his own, Ohlins Road & Track setup and my Cayman R. 

26 minutes ago, Draven said:

Ask @eponymoose for his thoughts - he's driven Caymans with standard suspension, various Bilstein setups including his own, Ohlins Road & Track setup and my Cayman R. 

Jeremy isn’t the only one! ;) 

25 minutes ago, Trickle said:

Jeremy isn’t the only one! ;) 

Really?

You've driven my Cayman R, too?

I don't remember that ?

4 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Not going for black on black ;)

I'm happy with the Cayman S mark 2 currently on the car tbh

Might look for anthracite/gunmetal finish 

drive a 987 cayman S on 19" wheels and H  and  R springs and 4 wheel geo to R  spec(as my 987 was)and i would bet money the difference between that and a real R would not be noticeable.

maybe uprated dampers would complete the package.

23 hours ago, eponymoose said:

I would lean towards either just going with the Cayman R springs or pairing them with Bilstein sport dampers.

The springs are only slightly higher rate  than standard and will work fine with the stock dampers ifyou mainly want the -20mm. To get the full Cayman R chassis experience, if that's what you seek, would indeed require the wheels, which are very expensive. The full spring and damper and bar package, too, which is also expensive. It'll cost a fortune. If you are totally price insensitive, I guess go for it.

The more cost effective way of getting pretty close to the Cayman R chassis experience would be Cayman R springs and some sport dampers from Bilstein. Do not buy the Bilstein B12 kit that comes complete with Eibach springs. The Eibach springs for 987 are a mess.

You could also pair the Bilstein dampers with H&R springs. They are -10mm versus the Cayman R springs but otherwise pretty similar in terms of rates. If it was me and I was trying to keep costs under control, I'd go with the Bilstein dampers and either the R springs or the H&R springs.

Otherwise, it's KW V3, Bilstein B16 PSS9 or Ohlins. Ohlins are probably technically the best but probably also need a bit more knowledge to really exploit re choosing springs rates and then setting it all up - so the cost can be quite high. KW are fiddly, too. The Billy B16s are a bit more straight forward / turn key and most people would be pretty happy with the results and would be a pretty cost effective solution all round. If I was doing my car again, I would go B16. Not quite as good as Ohlins, but a fair bit cheaper and will still give you a great handling 987.

Why the wheels however?

Thanks for the lengthy reply!

9 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Wider and lighter than what you currently have.  

Yes, weight was my concern but...

seems actually the Cayman S 18 weight pretty much same as the 19 Spyder wheels -- I dont really want to go 19 to be honest :)

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php   << see 19 Spyder weight here, and the 18 Cayman wheels

• Founder
14 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Yes, weight was my concern but...

seems actually the Cayman S 18 weight pretty much same as the 19 Spyder wheels -- I dont really want to go 19 to be honest :)

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php   << see 19 Spyder weight here, and the 18 Cayman wheels

Of course, the 18” will be they’re smaller and skinnier! 

I think the point was that if you were after the full CR handling experience then you’ll need the wheels or ones of a similar size, weight and dimension.  

If you’re happy with running a skinnier, smaller wheel set-up there’s nothing wrong with that and some would argue it provides a nicer driving experience, it just won’t drive like a CR.  

3 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Of course, the 18” will be they’re smaller and skinnier! 

I think the point was that if you were after the full CR handling experience then you’ll need the wheels or ones of a similar size, weight and dimension.  

If you’re happy with running a skinnier, smaller wheel set-up there’s nothing wrong with that and some would argue it provides a nicer driving experience, it just won’t drive like a CR.  

Got it! :)

2 hours ago, eponymoose said:

18s have same tyre width as 19s. They’re not narrower. 235f 265r either way.

But feel will still be different. I can’t compute paying a fortune for the full R suspension and then not doing the wheels.

You could do Bilstein B16 for probably less money, and that’s a better damper, and also allows you to set the ride height exactly how you want it.

Maybe.... 18s can be a good choice of setup with the right wheels...

https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/66382-has-anyone-tried-18-wheels-cayman-r.html

https://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-and-wheels/60069-cayman-s-wheels-my-cayman-r.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2018 at 23:19, eponymoose said:

You could also pair the Bilstein dampers with H&R springs. They are -10mm versus the Cayman R springs but otherwise pretty similar in terms of rates. If it was me and I was trying to keep costs under control, I'd go with the Bilstein dampers and either the R springs or the H&R springs.

Thank you, and everyone

I think this is pretty much what I am going to do

I found a deals on B8 shocks at around 850 GBP for 2 front and 2 rear, and these HR springs https://www.hrsuspension.direct/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=1825110867;car=porschecayman

Ill see if I can find an S front ABR