Anybody owned an X5

Beanoir™

Do you need such a BIG car?

We had a 523i touring years ago and thought about the X5 but when we test drove it the rear load space seemed smaller than the 5 series? 

What are your requirements for doors, space, mpg, performance, drive-train? What else is on your short list?

• Founder

I quite fancy BIG if I'm going for a 4X4 type thing, otherwise something else 4WD, have an itch for a Subaru Impreza weirdly..  When the weather is bad round here the roads get water-logged, muddy and are generally in a poor state of repair to begin with, hence a big bruiser of a car to battle my way every morning :)

I don't really want a small, Japanese thing like the X-trail, CRV, etc etc.  Maybe the XC-90...?  

Budgeting to not spend that much, I don't see the point in spending loads of money on a car that gets abused in car parks and covered in mud and crap every day. So about £5-6k.

59 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

I quite fancy BIG if I'm going for a 4X4 type thing, otherwise something else 4WD, have an itch for a Subaru Impreza weirdly..  When the weather is bad round here the roads get water-logged, muddy and are generally in a poor state of repair to begin with, hence a big bruiser of a car to battle my way every morning :)

I don't really want a small, Japanese thing like the X-trail, CRV, etc etc.  Maybe the XC-90...?  

Budgeting to not spend that much, I don't see the point in spending loads of money on a car that gets abused in car parks and covered in mud and crap every day. So about £5-6k.

Maybe one of those BIG Toyotas? They seem to last, judging by the Top Gear truck!

• Like 1

• Founder

I'd certainly consider a Toyota Landcruiser, but they're bloody expensive even for ancient ones...mind you I guess thats in recognition of the fact they are pretty much bombproof and go on for ever.

These were on my list very briefly, really nice to drive but echo comments above, JUICEY!!  Also read about some gearbox issues with them.