Anyone at Silverstone tomorrow?

Dougle_turbo

Yep, I'm here as I type  in the cafe, Metallic Olive Green CS. I've seen a CR (green)....and was overtaken by a McLaren ?? chasing a Ferarri ??, as if I was standing still. Brilliant fun and brilliant track .

• Like 1

Sorry I missed you Craig, sounds like a good day!

I had a rather frustrating day that started at 7:50 when my rear left exploded on the M40 outside Bicester. Thankfully the traffic was light and I didn't hit anyone and managed not to shoot up the embankment. I then had the usual run around by the RAC and managed to get taken to a local tyre place for 10 am. While waiting for the flatbed I called about 40 tyre shops and no one had 265/40/18 in stock (i run Cayman S 18" alloys for the track) so I had to wait at the tyre place for the afternoon delivery (and they were pzeros  ?) Managed to get to Silverstone for around 3 and squeezed about 14 laps on track before the end.

Really enjoyed the laps I did, but really needed a whole day to get to grips with the track. The new Pzeros didn't feel great and I had a lot of understeer. Hopefully, that will be addressed with 5mm spacers up front along with new geo next week.

On the upside the new brake setup performed very well, however, the DS1.11s are noisy SOBs. Think I'll be putting standard pads in over winter and just get those in for track time.

4 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Sorry I missed you Craig, sounds like a good day!

I had a rather frustrating day that started at 7:50 when my rear left exploded on the M40 outside Bicester. Thankfully the traffic was light and I didn't hit anyone and managed not to shoot up the embankment. I then had the usual run around by the RAC and managed to get taken to a local tyre place for 10 am. While waiting for the flatbed I called about 40 tyre shops and no one had 265/40/18 in stock (i run Cayman S 18" alloys for the track) so I had to wait at the tyre place for the afternoon delivery (and they were pzeros  ?) Managed to get to Silverstone for around 3 and squeezed about 14 laps on track before the end.

Really enjoyed the laps I did, but really needed a whole day to get to grips with the track. The new Pzeros didn't feel great and I had a lot of understeer. Hopefully, that will be addressed with 5mm spacers up front along with new geo next week.

On the upside the new brake setup performed very well, however, the DS1.11s are noisy SOBs. Think I'll be putting standard pads in over winter and just get those in for track time.

What a ball buster (pardon my French) re the tyre, glad you made it (I'd left by then). Yes, took me a while to get to grips with the track as well, an hour with an instructor worked wonders (he suggested letting out air of the rears....I dropped them down to 30psi and it made a lot of difference). My last few runs were (compared to earlier ones!) tidier and faster, it's a technical track  but all the more rewarding when you get it right.

I also have the Cayman S 18" wheels , with standard PS4 on the front and Super Sport on the rear....tyres performed and held up well. Against other tracks I've driven (Anglesey, Brands and Castle Combe) this was the fastest, just over 200kph on the long straight, found I only needed 3rd and 4th gear (manual box). The brakes held up well (perhaps those cheap GT3 brake ducts talked about a couple of months ago actually do work!). As you say, it's a brilliant track, and I'll be looking for another GP track session  there in 2018

XSP_0103.JPG

37 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

What a ball buster (pardon my French) re the tyre, glad you made it (I'd left by then). Yes, took me a while to get to grips with the track as well, an hour with an instructor worked wonders (he suggested letting out air of the rears....I dropped them down to 30psi and it made a lot of difference). My last few runs were (compared to earlier ones!) tidier and faster, it's a technical track  but all the more rewarding when you get it right.

I also have the Cayman S 18" wheels , with standard PS4 on the front and Super Sport on the rear....tyres performed and held up well. Against other tracks I've driven (Anglesey, Brands and Castle Combe) this was the fastest, just over 200kph on the long straight, found I only needed 3rd and 4th gear (manual box). The brakes held up well (perhaps those cheap GT3 brake ducts talked about a couple of months ago actually do work!). As you say, it's a brilliant track, and I'll be looking for another GP track session  there in 2018

XSP_0103.JPG

Looking good! What sort of lap time did you manage to put together?

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Looking good! What sort of lap time did you manage to put together?

Lap time? Absolutely NFI....I was in the zone of stringing the corners together properly, and keeping an eye out for GT3's, R8's Radicals and other missiles coming up behind me.

And of course I've just remembered I have Sports Chrono (slaps forehead)!

3 hours ago, Craiglm68 said:

Lap time? Absolutely NFI....I was in the zone of stringing the corners together properly, and keeping an eye out for GT3's, R8's Radicals and other missiles coming up behind me.

And of course I've just remembered I have Sports Chrono (slaps forehead)!

I use a great app called Harry's laptimer. Whilst I don't have it visibly running while driving its a great tool to map your progress and try to improve corners etc, I just review it once I come back into the pits. 

• Like 1