Battery flat and bonnet will not open

Keith W

Does anyone know how to open the bonnet on a 987.2 if the battery is flat. I have tried placing 12 Volts to the post in the fuse box which has worked in the past but this time

I just get a click of a relay and nothing else. All it allows me to do is release the key from the ignition.

Finally got the bonnet open. 

So using a DC power supply, I first had to cut the lead from my tyre inflator to use as a cable connected to the Variable voltage / current supply and set the volts to 12.2 and starting current to 0.5 A and plugged the makeshift lead into the cigarette lighter socket. I then slowly over the next ten minutes wound the current up to 5A. After some time I was able to use a 3S model flight battery on connected to ground and the emergency bonnet release turret in the fuse box and the bonnet finally opened. I then connected a trickle charger to the battery but this would not work displaying error as the volts were to low. Next step was to connect the dc supply set to 12.2V and 2A to the cigarette lighter socket and a 3S model flight battery across the battery terminals in parallel with the trickle charger and the trickle charger is charging properly. I will remove the flight battery in an hour and then remove the power supply from the cigarette lighter when the trickle charger can manage to charge on its own.  

Keith, fit a jump point external connector to prevent this happening again. If you want an Idea ( that worked for me) I posted one under "flat as a witches t*t" some time back. It does appear to be a common problem. A, that the Caymans and Boxsters flatten batteries after a couple of weeks of zero use and B, that the fusebox link rarely works with dead flat batteries.IMG_2109.HEICIMG_2108.HEIC

• 8 months later...