Cayman S, probably staying mostly unmodified!

peteslag

Lapis Blue??

I took my S1 to Brands Indy after 2 weeks of ownership.

It won't be long before you'll be wanting to upgrade the brakes etc 😃

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mavrik said:

Lapis Blue??

I took my S1 to Brands Indy after 2 weeks of ownership.

It won't be long before you'll be wanting to upgrade the brakes etc 😃

It is difficult to tell from one soaking wet track day. I've always managed with good fluid and pads on previous cars. I need a good fast dry track to get the feel for this car. That sounds like a perfect excuse to get on on track soon!

Congrats and welcome, and great photo ...and ballsy re driving 3 corners blind?! Anglesey is great, but if you're further South and feeling the need for speed, keep an eye out for Silverstone GP track day events.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craiglm68 said:

Congrats and welcome, and great photo ...and ballsy re driving 3 corners blind?! Anglesey is great, but if you're further South and feeling the need for speed, keep an eye out for Silverstone GP track day events.....

I just followed the car in front for those three corners. If he had gone off it would have been entertaining!

Silverstone is still on the to do list actually, I'll keep an eye out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two months of ownership on, do I still like the Cayman? Absolutely. What....a....machine.

I gave her a lick of polish and fitted a new head unit. The old head unit was a disgrace, it did the door speakers no justice at all. One thing about the car has surprised me, there are plenty of tales about the 3.4 987.1 using oil/smoking on start up/knocking noises etc etc. After 2000 miles of use (including a track day) it hasn't used a drop of oil, not even the merest hint of smoke and no knocks or rattles.

I've owned plenty of cars from pretty much every manufacturer, but never a porker. I always thought Porsches were overrated and not worth the money. I was wrong. This is the best car I've ever owned.

The only issue I'm having is to do with tyres. I want pilot sport 4 or 4S's but they don't seem to be available in 265/40 18. I might put a post up later in the 987 section.

20190318_200126 resize.jpg

20190323_170805.jpg

20190414_150403 resize.jpg

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 13:14, peteslag said:

Two months of ownership on, do I still like the Cayman? Absolutely. What....a....machine.

I gave her a lick of polish and fitted a new head unit. The old head unit was a disgrace, it did the door speakers no justice at all. One thing about the car has surprised me, there are plenty of tales about the 3.4 987.1 using oil/smoking on start up/knocking noises etc etc. After 2000 miles of use (including a track day) it hasn't used a drop of oil, not even the merest hint of smoke and no knocks or rattles.

I've owned plenty of cars from pretty much every manufacturer, but never a porker. I always thought Porsches were overrated and not worth the money. I was wrong. This is the best car I've ever owned.

The only issue I'm having is to do with tyres. I want pilot sport 4 or 4S's but they don't seem to be available in 265/40 18. I might put a post up later in the 987 section.

Hi again Pete (have responded to your tyres string separately)...I thought you were going to say the only issue you have is the cat living on the parcel shelf!

Yes indeed, they are quite a machine. Your experience with "oil non usage" is standard for 90 something % of us. A puff of smoke on startup (partic if parked on an angle or not used for a while) isn't uncommon if/when it happens (and certainly isn't limited to Caymans...many a flat 6 does similar simply due to the engine layout).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/zBqiVBuAfyw

Finally, I made it to Silverstone.  My first dry track day in the Cayman, I really got a chance to get to know this car.  The tyres need to be replaced, Bridgestones make the car feel like you are a ballerina wearing clogs. The pads held up surprisingly well considering they are standard but were a bit spongy from time to time.   I'll be swapping them out for something more robust before I head out on track again.  This car just continues to put a smile on my face. It was epic!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...