Alcantara gear knob, boot and handbrake

GlosRich

10 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Anyone know of a good, reasonably priced source for an Alcantara  gear knob, boot and handbrake handle?

Some on eBay, not sure of the quality.

Royal Steering Wheels worth a try.

I’ve experienced their work and it’s exceptional quality and reasonably priced. Well known / used on many enthusiast car forums.

Google them too. Sure to be lots of info / pics of their work around. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update!

Ok so I have a new Alcantara gear stick gaiter/boot to fit.

I've unclipped the leather surround, twisted the collar under the gear knob, and managed to pull the gear knob off with the gaiter, all in one piece. Had to straddle the centre console and pull up, without hitting myself in the face or breaking the windscreen...lol

The gear knob collar twists and unclips and then pulls off, and I've prised the staples out around the gaiter trim and got the gaiter off.

Does anyone have any experience fixing a new gaiter to the trim?

The original is stapled on with some very short staples that dont go through the trim.

I was thinking of maybe using some Evo-stick contact adhesive to stick the alcantara around the trim?

i cant remember exactly how i fitted the parts, but i certainly never had to use glue or staples to fix gaiter.. but i remember it was very straight forward.. 

give them a ring.. it must be the exact process as removal but in reverse ?????

Not wanting to steal somebody else thread, but having a question related.

Why would a car have an Alcantara gear knob & boot, but leather wheel and hand break.

I am told by previous owner it is stock, but it does not look right. The shifter is a factory fitted (on the build sheet) short shift. Is that why it is Alcantara while the other parts are not.

I was considering getting the hand break and wheel changed to Alcantara to match. I was looking at Designls  https://www.designls.co.uk/index.php/automotive/steering-wheels/porsche. Anybody used them?

Hi Simon,

I've heard a lot of people recommend Royal Steering Wheels in Abingdon - https://royalsteeringwheels.com/

Dont know if the Queen gets hers done there...lol

Anyway with mine I have used Evostick contact adhesive to stick the bottom of the gaiter to the plastic frame that clips on the centre console. I've done 2 sides at a time and clipped it in place overnight to dry, and its working out ok.

Will get some photos up of the finished article.

I'm trying the Alcantara gaiter first, might get the gear knob retrimmed later, not sure how durable Alcantara is for a gear knob opposed to leather?

Rich

Edited by GlosRich

Cheers Syer,

I got the gaiter from this guy on Ebay, he does other colours and stitching also:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-997-manual-Retrimming-service-gear-gaiter-genuine-alcantara/272679961298?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Then you just carefully unclip the existing gaiter at the front, rotate the locking collar on the gear knob, pull the gear knob off, and then you can remove the collar and the plastic trim ring.

I just stuck the new gaiter to the trim ring with EvoStick contact adhesive. £4 for a massive tin from Wickes.

You can do it, have a go!

Rich

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Cheers Syer,

I got the gaiter from this guy on Ebay, he does other colours and stitching also:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-997-manual-Retrimming-service-gear-gaiter-genuine-alcantara/272679961298?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Then you just carefully unclip the existing gaiter at the front, rotate the locking collar on the gear knob, pull the gear knob off, and then you can remove the collar and the plastic trim ring.

I just stuck the new gaiter to the trim ring with EvoStick contact adhesive. £4 for a massive tin from Wickes.

You can do it, have a go!

Rich

I bought a leather one for my Sons first car....Corsa: that I also paid for 🙄 from the same seller Rich. Some time ago now mind. Same type of job installing on his. My Clio 200 was similar too apart from I used an industrial stapler on that; to attach it to the collar. Both fitted  a treat though and were great quality - so I know where your coming from here.... 👍

I’m probably going to get the gaitor and hand-brake re-done on mine when I eventually have my centre console painted. Makes sense to do it in one hit.

You tempted by a steering wheel to match now ? 😎

Excellent, you know these products then.

Probably not the steering wheel, its in good condition and I prefer leather.

Got quite a lot to do on mine this year, front suspension top mounts, bump stops and track rod ends and alignment, plus I could do with a new windscreen, as its very chipped and scratched, so got plenty to pay for already!