What colour is the inside of the wheels?

Simon Wood

I am looking to remove my wheels are refurbish them myself. They are 19" Carrera S II wheels Basalt Black.

It is not the black part of the wheel I plan to restore, but instead the silver inside part. There are some small rust patches both from where previous weights were attached and from stone chips. I plan to sand back these areas use a rust inhibitor and then spray and detail them before applying a paint protection.

My big issues, is what colour is this area. It looks similar but not exactly the same as the chrome edge on the wheels face. Does anybody have a colour name or paint code for the inside of the wheels so that I can order matching paint?

IMG_20190928_171323.jpg

IMG_20190928_171342.jpg

IMG_20190928_172234.jpg

Some kind of grey almost like primer grey, but its semi gloss I expect. 

If you not bothered about it being original, I'd be spraying them satin black, as it would not show the brake dust and dirt.

I had not thought about painting them another colour. That is an interesting idea. Originally I was going for a stock look.

I guess in the ideal world I would take the weights off and get them rebalanced too, but that was not in my original plan. Not sure how much the balancing will be affected by some sanding and paint.

If I spray another colour then the colour under the weights will be wrong, so may need touch up when new tyres go on.

5 hours ago, Simon Wood said:

I had not thought about painting them another colour. That is an interesting idea. Originally I was going for a stock look.

I guess in the ideal world I would take the weights off and get them rebalanced too, but that was not in my original plan. Not sure how much the balancing will be affected by some sanding and paint.

If I spray another colour then the colour under the weights will be wrong, so may need touch up when new tyres go on.

For the sake of not alot of ££££ i'd re-do the whole inside of the barrel whatever colour you choose - removing the current weights - and then get the 4 re-balanced afterwards.

If well lacquered after the paint job; when you do get some new tyres fitted; the old weights removed sympathetically - shouldn't do any damage......and when the new weights are put on; you won't have any further paint matching / touching up / blending to worry about.

Good luck whatever you choose.

BTW: Not sure what colour your car is - but a darker Grey; or Anthracite type colour (If you still want contrasting barrels) or a Satin type Black - with Satin lacquer to finish - as suggested by Rich would work.

Thanks for all the advice. How much will wheel balancing cost? Anybody have any thoughts?

Regards what colour the car is, it is white. Owned it two months now and already making lots of plans of jobs I want to do to it. Mostly I want to keep it stock/OEM, but just enhance a 10 year old car.

IMG_20190728_154208.jpg