Track Day Insurance

Beanoir™

• Founder

I asked this a while back but never really got much joy.  I want to do a track or 2, no more than that but i'm reluctant to do it without insuring the car for track use.  

I got a couple of quotes and they were c.£300 for the R for one day at Snetterton, is this about right or is there a cheaper way of doing this?  

• 3 weeks later...

I insure my R with Mannings and they cover me for unlimited track days organized by a recognized organizer. The only proviso's are that you can't do Nurburg on a public day and the excess is 10% of cost or value if written off.

The policy was more expensive than compare sites but also has other advantages like choice of repair garage and Porsche loan car etc

• Founder
3 hours ago, Andy Fagan said:

I insure my R with Mannings and they cover me for unlimited track days organized by a recognized organizer. The only proviso's are that you can't do Nurburg on a public day and the excess is 10% of cost or value if written off.

The policy was more expensive than compare sites but also has other advantages like choice of repair garage and Porsche loan car etc

I'm not sure if I tried them or not...  

So is that an annual track only policy or a standard road policy that covers the track stuff as well?  

7 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

I'm not sure if I tried them or not...  

So is that an annual track only policy or a standard road policy that covers the track stuff as well?  

It's a normal road risk policy which has track day cover. I'm 57 and was quoted just over £200 using compare sites and the Manning insurance was £550. If you do a few track days each year it is well worth the peace of mind.

http://www.manninguk.com/automotive/porsche.php

• Founder
8 minutes ago, Andy Fagan said:

It's a normal road risk policy which has track day cover. I'm 57 and was quoted just over £200 using compare sites and the Manning insurance was £550. If you do a few track days each year it is well worth the peace of mind.

http://www.manninguk.com/automotive/porsche.php

Awesome, thanks for that.  

Doesn't sound too bad, i'll give them a go I think.  Ive got the added complication of a multi car policy with 4 cars on so might have to take the CR out of that, but i'm sure thats not the end of the world.  

Edited by Beanoir
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to update this......  I just re-newed with Manning and  previously I insured to do no more than 5,000 miles PA. However I only actually did about 1,000 miles last 12 months so I opted for a 3,000 mile PA limit and the premium came down from 500 to 350 :) still with track day cover and fully comp

• Like 1

• Founder

Topical, I've been googling away this evening looking for options, the competition insurance website appears to be hacked, Red Square recommended trying them for one off track days.  

When my insurance is up for renewal i think I'll definitely look at Mannings

Also worth talking to Classicline - they have similar policies to Manning. I had my 964RS insured through Manning, but moved to Classicline as Manning were far more expensive for European trackdays for the RS (both charge extra for this, but include UK days). I've stayed with Classicline for the CR.

• Like 1

Mine is insured through competition car insurance which adds about £100 to the premium but covers you for 5 track days a year. The critical thing is you must tell your insurer that you are going on a track day BEFORE the event since it is only pre-named events that are covered (otherwise how would they know they were limiting their liability to only 5 events?). An additional 2 events can be purchased (making 7 per year in total) for less than £100. 

They'll ask for a tracker to be fitted for cars insured over £40k which is about the pivot point for CR's.

Shout when you're booking a day. It's been a while since I've done one (and never in the CR) and all this talk is whetting my appetite.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Just by way of an update, finally got insurance sorted for this weekend at Hethel.  

CIS - £321.50

Insure My Track Day - £276

Moris - £121

Same value insured and similar excess across all. 

Thanks for all the advice!