Exhaust Clamp Replacement

So one side of my Exhaust Clamps has a crack in it. I am thinking of replacing them myself at home on axle stands. Having just watched Max Revs video I wonder if it will not be so easy. Are they really welded or is that a myth?

Has anybody done this, and if so how easy/hard is it? If I don't do it myself can it wait a year until the next service? Also should I replace the exhaust tips at the same time as I would rather have black tips over the chrome.

Any advice appreciated. 

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 20.41.11.jpg

It depends upon how gung ho you are but that doesn't look too hard at all. The workshop guy did it with nothing much more than a hammer and chisel and pry bar, and a grinder to cut the old clamp off. Yes it would be harder on your back with the car on jacks but that owner probably paid £120 or more just to avoid getting his hands dirty. 

I'd look at that as a Saturday's entertainment with the pride of a job well done while spending the £120 on some beer in the evening. 

• Like 1