Oil temperature gauge for 987.2 - A little help please.

As most of you will know, getting the oil temperature on a 987 Cayman is a difficult affair. Whilst there is an oil temp sensor on the CAN, it's not OBD2 readable. This means you need Durametric or similar is required to read it, which is no good on the move or when on track etc.

So I have decided to install a supplementary oil temp gauge, however I need some help on where to install the sender. Ideally somewhere in the sump would be the ideal take off - as thats where it should be hottest. But I have recently changed the oil so would prefer to try a different location. Having had a good look around the engine bay there are two locations that might work - but I'm not sure.

The pictures below show the same location on the air filter side of the head. Having taken the hex bolt out there is definitely some sort of oil gallery there. But I'm not sure what's beneath it. There is a similar port on the other head, but it's located a little further back. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

IMG_20200419_174224.jpg

IMG_20200419_174204.jpg

Edited by Dougle_turbo

Are you sure there isn't a small hand device out there to keep plugged?  The Cobb accessory (mainly for tuning maps) does the job (but expensive) so I'm sure it can simply be done by buying a device. 

But I like your idea tho, and I'd be interested to know too if there is any solution. 

Cheers

EDIT: OBDII won't show it, it can only be done via the CAN port apparently 

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/1167757-aim-solo-dl-real-time-oil-temp-display.html    

It's called SOLO DL. 

Or this guy went took your route instead...

Edited by Andrea

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

Are you sure there isn't a small hand device out there to keep plugged?  The Cobb accessory (mainly for tuning maps) does the job (but expensive) so I'm sure it can simply be done by buying a device. 

But I like your idea tho, and I'd be interested to know too if there is any solution. 

Cheers

EDIT: OBDII won't show it, it can only be done via the CAN port apparently 

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/1167757-aim-solo-dl-real-time-oil-temp-display.html    

It's called SOLO DL. 

Or this guy went took your route instead...

Thanks Andrea,

I have tried, or spoken to different people who have tried over 10 different OBD2 readers and none show oil temp. I do have a Durametric pro, however it's run by a laptop so isn't track or road friendly to leave plugged in. Because I have already forked out on Durametric, and the car already has a custom remap I'm not to keen to spend £££s on another type of reader, hence exploring this route.

I had seen the video above, however he only ends up installing a pressure temp gauge, and his car is a Gen 1, not Gen 2 so the heads are different. There are two hex head bolts in similar pictures to the ones he mentions in the pictures, but I'm not sure what is directly beneath them (despite having tried to look at every engine diagram I can find) and I'm concerned anything I install there will foul on a cam or valve of something bad. I've tried to look into the hole but it's difficult to see what's there, what i do know is that it's not much of a cavity (see pic below). I was hoping there might be a more obviously suitable location that someone knew about.

IMG_20200419_145808.jpg

IMG_20200419_150310.jpg

But have you googled the SOLO DL? It works.

Here a link for diagrams. Hope it helps 

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagrams-porsche-cayman-987c-2-2010-eu-cayman-s-3-4-manual-gearbox-6-speed/engine-and-fuel-feed-36

The thing is, our cars already have that piece of information....it's all about finding a way to display it.....so your way seems to add complexity and it might read wrong because of the location of the sensor you are trying to place. 

Thanks for the diagram, I'll have a look.

I'm with you on trying to find a way of displaying it, but ideally I don't want to spend another £500+ . Because I can already read the data via Durametric I can always check the new sensor data against the cars data and make allowances.