Pinky Lai - 987 Cayman Designer - Interview May 2020

Slightly strange 'interview'.........and he looked a little nonplussed with it all at times if i'm honest.

But some interesting thoughts and musings from THE man none the less:

Had the same feeling too, but then again, being a car designer myself I can guarantee we are all weird  😅 It's like a common trait of car designer, living in a mystical/utopian bubble with our minds running way too fast and full of ideas.  Would't call it a job, it's almost a "way of living life". Hope this explains a bit.

Nonetheless a great designer! 

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

Had the same feeling too, but then again, being a car designer myself I can guarantee we are all weird  😅 It's like a common trait of car designer, living in a mystical/utopian bubble with our minds running way too fast and full of ideas.  Would't call it a job, it's almost a "way of living life". Hope this explains a bit.

Nonetheless a great designer! 

^^^Really interesting !

I can well see how being given free rein as-such; leads you to become self absorbed / scoffing of others at times  / absorbed in yourself and your own ideas blah blah blah. I also get the impression his character is one of being pretty single minded in the views he has. As do the traits of top sportsman - and many-many others at the top of their own particular game. (And having played sport professionally for 15 years in a previous life - im aware of the importance of self belief, blocking out others etc more than most perhaps).

A topic i could run-on endlessly about.

But for now i'll agree to agree it's an iconic design for sure.

Cheers, 

He seemed a bit like "I can't be bother today" unfortunately! 

Have a look at a speech from people like Chris Bangle (ex BMW chief designer) to have a completely different approach to explaining car design! Pure passion....

Here an example:

I thought the interview was OK to be honest. He seemed interested, but probably used to talking to much larger groups, rather than a fairly small group on YouTube.

He made some comments about the 987 Cayman being the original and the one to keep, and that the rear hatch (deck) being lower that rear wings (haunches) design feature and that this has been lost on the 981 and 718.