987.1 door speakers not working?

Edmundo2

Hi. As per the title my 987.1 door speakers don't work, ( non Bose ).    I don't think they were working when I bought the car. I belive they are possibly non standard/upgraded. 

Any thoughts on where to start. Assume it's likely to be connections at speaker end but seems odd if they had been replaced unless they weren't fitted well. There's a YouTube vid showing door card removal so I'll do this and take a look when time allows but just wondered if there's anything I should look out for ref common causes/issues etc..?

Thanks in advance..

Ed

• Founder

Could be the amp, channel not working. Are both door speakers not working, would seem odd if they both don’t work for it to be the speakers themselves.  

Otherwise, door card off and have a look, test with another speaker you know does work and go from there.  

I assume the rest of the system is all standard, head unit etc? 

Hi Beanoir and thanks for this. I'm crap at all things electrical ..

Yes everything else is stock. I believe the amp is in the trunk near the tool store so will take a look for dodgy connections and any melting etc..Is there likely to be a specific fuse , ( for door speakers ), I should look for in the fuse box or at the amp?

Cheers,  Ed

• Founder

I’m guessing you have Sound Package Plus (option 490 i think..) if so, then the amp powers the door woofers and the centre speaker I believe, if none of these work then it’s probably a sure sign the amp has given up.  But, check the fuse first though, can’t remember which one it is but should be noted in the fuse diagram.  The speakers themselves don’t have fuses, just the amp and head unit (the bits with power).  

It’s not uncommon, the ASK amplifiers are known to break in this era of Porsches.  There are companies around that fix them, or you can buy them cheap enough on eBay.  

What makes you think the speakers in the doors are not the standard speakers by the way??

Hi. Previous owner advised the speakers were upgraded with a decent spec set, ( can't remember brand ). I have noise coming through central speaker do if amp was shot would it not all fail? Cheers