987 wheel swap, offset etc ?

sevenfourate

Hi all,

Looking to swap my standard Cayman S 18” wheels for something a little more modern / lighter.

The stock wheels are (I’m pretty sure): 8j + 9j staggered. With ET57 front and ET43 rear. ****CONFIRMED

***Ive got ready to go onto the standard hoops: 7mm and 15mm spacers respectively; having seen this in person and being ‘known’ and common 987 ‘track widening’ sizes.

The wheels I’m after are ‘customisable for width, offset etc. So am I right I’m thinking to achieve what I’m looking for staying with 18” - and to lose the spacers - I would have to purchase; 

8j with ET50 front.

9j with ET28 rear.

Anyone know if my assumptions are correct or spots a flaw in my plan, issues with clearing the callipers etc ?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I can get the ET 50 front (So same as having a 7mm spacer fitted on standard wheel offsets)

And ET 35 on the rear - which again would be same as 7mm spacers over standard wheels.  (Which i believe combined is pretty much Porsche recommendations (?). Or i could then add 7mm spacers to the rear to achieve 7mm and 14mm front and rear effectively: if i fancied.

Sound sane ?

4A80D485-870C-4AC0-8CCE-ECF431FB6E3B.jpeg

E6DF71F7-4CFD-469A-8D4B-00AC2A4E2E2A.jpeg

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

No idea what the ‘ET’ stuff all means, but I do like those black wheels. They’re a bit spyder like / OZ Ultraleggara 🤩👍🏻

what brand & model are they?

Edited by Windymiller
Typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

No idea what the ‘ET’ stuff all means, but I do like those black wheels. They’re a bit spyder like / OZ Superleggara 🤩👍🏻

what brand & model are they?

Wheels are manufactured by a newish company called 2Forge.

https://2forgewheels.com/

Model is the ZF6. Brand in general: and the wheel itself seems to be getting good reviews everywhere i looked.....

All their wheels are flow formed - supposed to be a halfway house between a cheap cast rim and a full on forged (And hugely expensive) item:

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

That’s an impressive video of robotic manufacturing on those flow-formed König wheels. 

So I’ve just educated myself on offset / ET via these 2 items:

https://www.croooober.com/en/blog/feature/how-to-read-the-wheel-marking

and the logic of your approach seems correct - i.e., avoid need for spaces through using wheels with lower offset (by equivalent amount of spacer thickness).  So long as overall wheel width is no wider than original wheel you’ll achieve the desired effect of drawing the wheel centre line further outboard - ie widening the wheel track. 

I think.... (I have only just got my head around what ‘ET’ is - I thought he was still trying to phone home 😉🤪)

First time ever / Day 1 for me on this topic too. Hence the needing confirmation !

So thanks very much for getting your head around it and giving me support  😁 👌

Lol @ ET. Showing your age there dear. Although i may or may not remember Elliot riding a rather nice Kuwahara BMX in the film. Wouldn't mind one of them tucked away in my shed right now.....😎

• Haha 1

On 02/03/2021 at 18:37, sevenfourate said:

Has anyone got a picture of a slightly lowered (30mm ish) 987 with 7mm spacers or that effective ET on the rears ?

as you command I guess these are the pics you want. (sorry for there's only 718)

BONOSS-Forged-Active-Cooling-Wheel-Space

And this Porsche 718 Cayman installed BONOSS Forged Active Cooling Wheel Spacers, front/rear 30mm (1.2 inches), PCD 5×130, CB 71.6. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

What made you change from the 2forge wheels to the revolution wheels Syer? 🤔

Solely the fact they are purpose made for 987’s; in the widths / sizes / offsets needed to ensure no rubbing, the right stagger, geometry blah blah. 

And all with no spacers or longer wheel bolts. That’s the right mechanical solution.

Looks may not be quite as good Revolution compared to the 2Forge. But; still not bad - and my mind rests easier knowing it’s the best ‘fit’ I could possibly achieve.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yolanda Cyrus said:

as you command I guess these are the pics you want. (sorry for there's only 718)

And this Porsche 718 Cayman installed BONOSS Forged Active Cooling Wheel Spacers, front/rear 30mm (1.2 inches), PCD 5×130, CB 71.6. 

Thats sits really well. Classy stance !

Ive ordered my wheels and lowering is in hand. 

If I end up looking anything like yours - I’ll be very happy !

Thankyou very much for the pics of your superb machine.....