987.2 Oil Filter Housing

Hi,

Does anyone know good UK supplier of genuine 987.2 oil filter housing before I contact OPC.

Even Design 911 doesn't seem to show it, just the whole oiling assembly including cooler...

Was doing oil change this weekend and the existing housing had been tightened way more than the spec 25Nm (I'd say double!) so that meant my filter housing wrench slipped a bit and rounded over the sharper edges of the housing that do the gripping.

It slipped and actually wedged the wrench onto the housing and it took alot of effort and even WD40 to get it off... Not sure I will be able to tighten it back up properly when I refit.

I've also ordered one of these to give me the best chance.  That's a cast element as opposed to my cheaper pressed steel one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CA10XS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4000896013340.jpg

Edited by Andyoz

5 minutes ago, barryb said:

OK, it is showing £38 incl. Tax and shipping so I can handle that and will call OPC tomorrow to compare (and have a laugh!)

How on earth did the previous person manage to torque it so tight?? It's only plastic and it just feels "right" when it's torqued correctly (as in, it would feel extremely wrong to tighten it anymore).

Edited by Lennym1984

Also, don't youhave a Cayman R? I thought these could only be serviced by tibetan monks, using unicorn tears in order to preserve their resale value? Don't go mentioning "DIY servicing" on Piistonheads, you'll send them all into a meltdown...

^^^ Exactly, I was under the car and gave it a wee shove with my oil filter wrench as normal and no way was it moving.  Had to really go at it and the oil filter wrench moved slightly in the housing and 'jammed' caused me over an hours sodding around to get it off.

Only £28 delivered so I might get one as the bottom section where the wrench fits over is clearly rounded and I hate that.

I also stripped the Torx sump plug due to this gorilla...what's the best one to buy...

BTW...I have good torque wrenches so they aren't the issue here..

Edited by Andyoz

4 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Also, don't youhave a Cayman R? I thought these could only be serviced by tibetan monks, using unicorn tears in order to preserve their resale value? Don't go mentioning "DIY servicing" on Piistonheads, you'll send them all into a meltdown...

Yeah, that's me...I've done over 2,500k miles in lockdown since I got it in Oct - my aim is to be the first perfect spec R to reach 100k miles in the UK.

Guess what... the engines never run better!!

Edited by Andyoz

Just now, Andyoz said:

Yeah, that's me...I've done over 2,500k miles in lockdown since I got it in Oct - my aim is to be the first perfect spec R to reach 100k miles in the UK.

Guess what... the engines never run better!!

Heretic! They'll burn you at the stake for enjoying your car as a machine and not a static object.

In terms of the sump plug, a lot of people tend to go for the magnetic ones. I haven't bothered but there are plenty on ebay for not very much money. I don't think it really matters provided that you use the right crush washer.

3 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Heretic! They'll burn you at the stake for enjoying your car as a machine and not a static object.

In terms of the sump plug, a lot of people tend to go for the magnetic ones. I haven't bothered but there are plenty on ebay for not very much money. I don't think it really matters provided that you use the right crush washer.

Luckily alot of that BS hasn't entered car ownership here in Ireland....we still enjoy stuff!

It's just a bloody Cayman!!  There will be spare parts for years and if the paintwork gets fooked I'll go something a bit mad like Riviera Blue or Viper Green.

Anyway, there appears to be a decent supply of minters out there I could buy if I had the cash in 5+ years

Edited by Andyoz

I can't agree enough. My Cayman is a ratty 2.7 but even with my other cars I've never been too precious. Like you, I figure that I can always have them painted, repaired, or if worse comes to worst, I can drive them into a field, set fire to them, and never think about it again. Worrying about resale (even if it may be financially prudent to do so) would completely take the enjoyment out of it for me.

4 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I can't agree enough. My Cayman is a ratty 2.7 but even with my other cars I've never been too precious. Like you, I figure that I can always have them painted, repaired, or if worse comes to worst, I can drive them into a field, set fire to them, and never think about it again. Worrying about resale (even if it may be financially prudent to do so) would completely take the enjoyment out of it for me.

Yes, and it's also possible to rack up the miles and still take care of a car.  I bet a few of the sought after 20k mile R's have had some track day money shifts on their boxes, owners without a clue how to enter/exit buckets, drivers that treat brake pedals as On/Off switches, near overheated suspension rubbers/hydraulic steering from razzing it on track days without ANY mechanical sympathy (it's not a GT3)

Edited by Andyoz

54 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Yes, and it's also possible to rack up the miles and still take care of a car.  I bet a few of the sought after 20k mile R's have had some track day money shifts on their boxes, owners without a clue how to enter/exit buckets, drivers that treat brake pedals as On/Off switches, near overheated suspension rubbers/hydraulic steering from razzing it on track days without ANY mechanical sympathy (it's not a GT3)

Gear shifts is the one that makes me cringe. I've been out with a few people on track who don't even attempt to rev match the changes and just bang it into gear at 6k RPM and let the synchro do the rest. It's bad technique (from a track driving perspective) but it's the lack of mechanical sympathy than concerns me. I have a friend with a few ferraris and he is the worst of them all.

The day I bought my moon miles R (53k miles LOL), Ashgoods sold one with sub 25k miles and 9 owners for £8k more than I paid...Ashgoods sold it within 24 hours. same color/spec.

Mines one owner and I know for a fact it's not been tracked (not that it matters but I;d like to know who tracked it if it was).

With Ashgoods 9 owners one do you think one or two of them might have been like your Ferrari mate?

Edited by Andyoz